• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dip in Level of Service from Nixon Williams"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Aren't they a case of "accountants" providing "schemes " rather than the usual P&L though?
    No, seriously, take a read if you haven't yet.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

Aren't they a case of "accountants" providing "schemes " rather than the usual P&L though?
    Nope.

Depending on how that pans out, I think a lot of contractors that use accountants could be in for a serious shock in a few years time. Logically, it shouldn't happen, but there is a non-trivial chance that it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

If you read the threads on Churchill Knight and Boox, you might be thinking quite hard about how the future relationship looks between accountants and contractors?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

Guess he dipped out.

Yeah. I was feeling inspired last year to move after just too many cockups and missing information. At the time I wondered if I was being a little bit high maintenance in throwing my toys. I moved at a time when they were still around enough to participate in the handover.

I'm going to listen to my gut more in the future.
    If you read the threads on Churchill Knight and Boox, you might be thinking quite hard about how the future relationship looks between accountants and contractors?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

I doubt it. There's a bloke by that name in a firm up near Nixon Williams in Lancashire. He's Client Manager at Brown & Co Chartered Accountants according to LinkedIn.

PS - I hope you changed accountant?
    Guess he dipped out.

Yeah. I was feeling inspired last year to move after just too many cockups and missing information. At the time I wondered if I was being a little bit high maintenance in throwing my toys. I moved at a time when they were still around enough to participate in the handover.

I'm going to listen to my gut more in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

People aren't even replying to emails now. Are you still there Jake?
    I doubt it. There's a bloke by that name in a firm up near Nixon Williams in Lancashire. He's Client Manager at Brown & Co Chartered Accountants according to LinkedIn.

PS - I hope you changed accountant?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by NixonWilliams View Post

Good Afternoon Mash,

I note that you have made reference to a change in the level of service you are receiving from Nixon Williams and I would obviously like to address these concerns where possible.

So that I can assess the situation further for you, could I ask that you please send me a private message with your contact details, or alternatively email me directly at [email protected].

Additionally, if any other forum posters have any concerns that they would like to raise, please feel free to drop me an email.

Many thanks in advance.

Jake Ashurst
    People aren't even replying to emails now. Are you still there Jake?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
    Your frustration with NW seems to go back well over a year going by your earlier posts on this thread - perhaps now is the time to have a look at what else is available?
    What can I say, I like to give people a chance...

Leave a comment:

• Alchemy Accountancy
    replied
    Haven't had a peep off Nixon Williams for months, not even to offer new salary advice for 2019. Dividend requests not being replied to for days, accountancy taking a week... are they shutting up shop?
    Your frustration with NW seems to go back well over a year going by your earlier posts on this thread - perhaps now is the time to have a look at what else is available?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Haven't had a peep off Nixon Williams for months, not even to offer new salary advice for 2019. Dividend requests not being replied to for days, accountancy taking a week... are they shutting up shop?

Leave a comment:

• Somos Accounting
    replied
    As ex-NW myself, I too hear the same sentiment. It’s a real shame to hear that the service has deteriorated and since the PE acquisition, as back in the day it really was a superb place to work.

Naturally a business will change and evolve and presumably after the exit of most of the “old-timers” the culture will be vastly different.

The few ex-NW clients that have approached me have also been happy with the switch.

Brett

Leave a comment:

• Alchemy Accountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by bulletprooffool View Post
    Add me to the long list of unhappy clients.
    Not even using Vantage (*I could see no benefit to the end user, only benefit to NXW in the switch)
    They do like toi call the move to Vantage a free 'upgrade' - what I see is simply shifting the tiny bit of work my accountant does, to myself.

It's a shame, I have been with them near 9 years... but it is time to move.

Probably going Gorilla - has anyone made the change recently? Was it an easy transition?
    Unsure if you know the full history, but the original owners of Nixon Williams sold the business in 2014 to a private equity firm (I worked for them between June 2008 and December 2016). From clients that I have spoken to since, I'm told that there has been a noticeable deterioration in service since the sale, it would be a remarkable co-incidence if the two weren't linked.

The original owners have returned to market backing this business, Alchemy Accountancy - we have taken on a few (now) ex-NW clients, and each has been happy with the transition.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by bulletprooffool View Post
    Not even using Vantage (*I could see no benefit to the end user, only benefit to NXW in the switch)
    They do like toi call the move to Vantage a free 'upgrade' - what I see is simply shifting the tiny bit of work my accountant does, to myself.

Probably going Gorilla - has anyone made the change recently? Was it an easy transition?
    Gorilla has three ex NW senior members and I'd guess some more junior ones as well that aren't on the website so they'll certainly know where you are coming from which should help the transition somewhat.

Be prepared to do much of the legwork yourself with FreeAgent as well. You'll be entering all your own expenses, do your own invoicing and the like. I see that as a benefit rather than a shifting of work as I'm more in control and need to speak to my accountant less. Much better than the old spreadsheets system or leaving it for the accountants to do IMO.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 December 2020, 17:49.

Leave a comment:

• bulletprooffool
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I had an Agent who 'didn't promote' Gorilla but knew a lot of people in his network liked and used them, and to mention his name...

Private equity turns everything into poo - accounts or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X