• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trade marked word in company name"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Spam twitter anonymously about the other company.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
    Yep, thats the one
    For a design company, their website looks tulip.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    This is one of the reasons I just ended up using my name as a company name when I first started.
    Same - I spent hours and hours trying to come up with a good, unique name that wasn't registered or used elsewhere. Gave up in the end.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    now I need to come up with some lovely new name, that is also safe against all this PITA stuff!
    22nd Century Fox hasn't been trademarked in the UK. Get that and in a about 80 years or so you can sell it for a fortune. Easy.

Leave a comment:

• BradMcA
    replied
    talked to a solicitor who gave advice

emailed the guy saying I would use another name and he seems sweet, so that should be case closed.

now I need to come up with some lovely new name, that is also safe against all this PITA stuff!

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Tell them it's NETE VOLUTION.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Consider renaming to Revolution Design

Leave a comment:

• BradMcA
    replied
    I'll just rename it, bit tulipty that a common word was awarded trademark.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    I have nothing to hide mate
    Hi Bradley

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    I'm baffled that anyone granted them a trademark for the word "Evolution"?! It's just a word, in common usage. "Evolution Design", fine, that's two fairly specific words that wouldn't often be said together otherwise.

If they have successfully got a trademark for just "Evolution", then yeah, seems like you're screwed...but that's ridiculous.

If you can be bothered and have the skills, might be worth checking the actual trademark granted. Eg was it literally for that word, or only where it's used in that font/style...so more of an image protection than purely the word.

More generally, I'm gonna see if I can trademark "the", should then be able to threaten millions of businesses.
    It's a very broad trademark look at https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Result...cySearch=False

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Edit to say I did initially agree with NL, but on second thoughts find a new name and start rebranding asap - its just not going to be worth the pain....
    And that's probably the common sense solution at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Would I be right in saying that I could rename the company and keep the domain name as it was registered before the trademark as a potential solution.

I don't mind renaming the company, I have another business idea I am working on but obviously the domain has an email associated to it.
    I doubt it. I'd imagine as soon as they prove the trademark they'd have no problems giving them the domain if they challenge it. That said if you don't use it as competition and just an email they might not care.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 May 2017, 10:15.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    I'm baffled that anyone granted them a trademark for the word "Evolution"?! It's just a word, in common usage. "Evolution Design", fine, that's two fairly specific words that wouldn't often be said together otherwise.

If they have successfully got a trademark for just "Evolution", then yeah, seems like you're screwed...but that's ridiculous.

If you can be bothered and have the skills, might be worth checking the actual trademark granted. Eg was it literally for that word, or only where it's used in that font/style...so more of an image protection than purely the word.

More generally, I'm gonna see if I can trademark "the", should then be able to threaten millions of businesses.

Leave a comment:

• BradMcA
    replied
    Would I be right in saying that I could rename the company and keep the domain name as it was registered before the trademark as a potential solution.

I don't mind renaming the company, I have another business idea I am working on but obviously the domain has an email associated to it.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    This is one of the reasons I just ended up using my name as a company name when I first started.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X