• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another 24 month rule question"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mike h View Post
    and for me, that is the crux of the issue. Does a different location mean office, or does it mean a different city altogether?
    Well there is a pretty clear example about a simple office change in HMRC's guides. There is also an example of a work on a construction side either side a bridge. Just to work 100 yards away he has to travel miles over a different bridge.

You have to look a the merits of each case.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by mike h View Post
    and for me, that is the crux of the issue. Does a different location mean office, or does it mean a different city altogether?
    It means "a substantially different journey", although that isn't defined. The best example I saw that makes sense was if you would have to go to a different mainline railway station to get there. At the end of the day you have to make your own assessment and be prepared to defend it if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• mike h
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    Of course you can. If you take a contract somewhere in a significantly* different location.

* try to get the bastards to explain what that means.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I'm sure CP will be along to correct me should I be wrong?
    This is the default assumption of every comment on this site, isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• fannyadams
    replied
    Originally posted by lenovo View Post
    No one likes someone talking rudely to them.
    Some people dial a £1.50 a minute phone line for that.

The 24 month rule is about how long you've been on site, not how long you've been claiming for.

Congrats on the repeat business from your client - you're clearly providing a good service

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    I don't have to be a d*ck because I'm a contractor.
    You are correct. That is not the reason, nor does it have to be.

Leave a comment:

• lenovo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    as a contractor you should (wo)man up. Nobody's here to make friends.

Sorry if off-topic but I've had a bad day with permies who want to be friendly.....
    I don't have to be a d*ck because I'm a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    No one likes someone talking rudely to them.
    as a contractor you should (wo)man up. Nobody's here to make friends.

Sorry if off-topic but I've had a bad day with permies who want to be friendly.....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    You are right. If you switched to <40% on site or even 100% WFH after 2 years it would still take some time until you can claim expenses again without a change of location.
    Top man, cheers

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I know of people who clients have had to keep for 2 years+.

They (the contractor) insisted 100% WFH was the only option.

Obviously, you can go over 2 years if you only work 40% at the client location.

Pretty sure this would have to be the situation either from the outset of the contract, or prior to a "known" two years been up. I'm sure CP will be along to correct me should I be wrong?
    You are right. If you switched to <40% on site or even 100% WFH after 2 years it would still take some time until you can claim expenses again without a change of location.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    :

Leave a comment:

• lenovo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Moi? Never. Just pulling your plonker. You did say you wanted a bashing though.
    Expected, not wanted. No one likes someone talking rudely to them.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I know of people who clients have had to keep for 2 years+.

They (the contractor) insisted 100% WFH was the only option.

Obviously, you can go over 2 years if you only work 40% at the client location.

Pretty sure this would have to be the situation either from the outset of the contract, or prior to a "known" two years been up. I'm sure CP will be along to correct me should I be wrong?
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 3 April 2017, 18:36.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Do you realise you already replied?

You seem bitter.
    Moi? Never. Just pulling your plonker. You did say you wanted a bashing though.

Leave a comment:

• lenovo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Of course you can. Fill your boots.

There, that's that thread sorted.
    Do you realise you already replied?

You seem bitter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X