• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Documenting financial situation in case of emergency"

Collapse

• DallasDad
    replied
    Brilliant thread and thanks for the recommendations and reminder I have not updated my 'what if' file for quite a while and I also need to review my Will.

Swmbos father died a few years back he was very efficient in his record keeping but even so it took a lot of unravelling because we did not have the full picture. Multiple houses to deal with wills in different countries etc loads of bank accounts several pensions and money invested all over the place.

We used an IFA specifically to help his Widow consolidate loads of accounts, funds, insurance policies plus setup various trusts for their Children and Grand Children etc. There was a plus side as well, IFA helped offset various chunks of tax CGT Inheritance etc.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy O View Post
    Did you do this yourself or via a solicitor? Was it expensive? I was told there are two types of POA, one for financial and one for health, it that correct?
    Yep there are 2 separate ones.

Leave a comment:

• Andy O
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Power of attorney done today, thanks to Chris Maslins for saying something.

Consider this a bump and a challenge to anyone who hasn't taken care of this stuff to get it done and bump it for the next person.
    Did you do this yourself or via a solicitor? Was it expensive? I was told there are two types of POA, one for financial and one for health, it that correct?

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Power of attorney done today, thanks to Chris Maslins for saying something.

Consider this a bump and a challenge to anyone who hasn't taken care of this stuff to get it done and bump it for the next person.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Doesn't really matter what it's called as long as people can find it when you are dead.

That reminds me I can't remember where I've stuck my will.
    that reminds me the nominated guardians for the twins are now divorced...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    Without wanting to be morbid, shouldn't it be called "WHEN I DIE...", or have you cracked that one?
    Doesn't really matter what it's called as long as people can find it when you are dead.

That reminds me I can't remember where I've stuck my will.

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    If you use Lastpass as your password manager, you can set it up to give emergency access to other users. My wife has instant access to it, my mum has to wait 7 days before she gets access to it.

I store most things in Lastpass as a secure note as well, so that it's all in there if anything happens. The note is called "IF I DIE..." so it's easy to find.
    Without wanting to be morbid, shouldn't it be called "WHEN I DIE...", or have you cracked that one?

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    If you use Lastpass as your password manager, you can set it up to give emergency access to other users. My wife has instant access to it, my mum has to wait 7 days before she gets access to it.

I store most things in Lastpass as a secure note as well, so that it's all in there if anything happens. The note is called "IF I DIE..." so it's easy to find.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    My father had created, maintained and shared a "pop-off" file before he died. It made the whole process of notifications, and transferring pension entitlements and ISAs etc. to my mother a lot simpler. Really made a series of tough conversations a lot more efficient.

As a result, my wife and I have done the same, but I'm a bit concerned if we perish in the same car crash, aircraft accident, strangely tragic opera incident or the likes. I would hope that the kids would be able to manage to find the files and get enough support from rest of family to deal with things, but I'm not entirely confident.
    Just tell the executor of your wills where the file is.

Leave a comment:

• Lambert Simnel
    replied
    My father had created, maintained and shared a "pop-off" file before he died. It made the whole process of notifications, and transferring pension entitlements and ISAs etc. to my mother a lot simpler. Really made a series of tough conversations a lot more efficient.

As a result, my wife and I have done the same, but I'm a bit concerned if we perish in the same car crash, aircraft accident, strangely tragic opera incident or the likes. I would hope that the kids would be able to manage to find the files and get enough support from rest of family to deal with things, but I'm not entirely confident.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Now I've found the right search term this is a ton of advice out there.

This site has basic Excel template which looks like a good start. It's American but certainly enough to get going.

How to Create an In-Case-of-Emergency Everything Document to Keep Your Loved Ones Informed if Worst Comes to Worst

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Actually DO it. Then, bump the thread with a comment that you've done it, and ask who will do it next.
    Done, JFDI etc...

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Been meaning to do this for ages.

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    Amazing coincidence but haven't looked at CUK all day, yet have just started documenting all this for myself today!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    I have a master spreadsheet with all the account numbers and institutions in it.
    You couldn't send me a copy so I can see how you've laid it all out?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X