• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New company formation - dividend split husband/wife"

Collapse

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    What's the reason for the 70/30 split and why not 50/50?

Curious to know the reasoning behind the split.
    Advice of accountant plus i think it's feels right regards Mrs contribution, I am doing a lot of the work, and she contributes to admin and decision making

Leave a comment:

• ContractorBanking
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    70/30 here
    What's the reason for the 70/30 split and why not 50/50?

Curious to know the reasoning behind the split.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    70/30 here

Leave a comment:

• Andrew@Wisteria
    replied
    Thanks for that - that's a very good point indeed. Going to chase up with my accountant.

Currently the missus is only the Co Secretary and will be a 50% shareholder (once its been agreed and accountant gives the nod).

Should I also make her a Director as well? Does it strengthen the case for Entrepreneurs Relief or is Co Secretary enough?
    As said below, you need to be an officer or an employee to benefit. A company secretary would qualify as an officer.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Because some women (and men) are crap with money. If me and my ex had had a joint account she'd have bankrupted me years ago.
    And I thought my Mrs was bad. Maybe I should be grateful. Shes not that bad - she has access to bank accounts and more importantly, additional card on my amex plantinum with big limit.

All I need to do is occasionally sit here down and have a quiet word. Still annoying mind that I have to keep doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
    Agreed. It worries me when I see couples talking about "his money" and "my money".
    How can you share a life but not share everything in that life?

A little off topic now though, so I'll stop pontificating.
    Because some women (and men) are crap with money. If me and my ex had had a joint account she'd have bankrupted me years ago.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mine has found errors my former accountant made that will result in a nice tax refund.
    Sadly my mrs idea of a result would be some nice new shoes shes found on sale....

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Thanks for that - that's a very good point indeed. Going to chase up with my accountant.

Currently the missus is only the Co Secretary and will be a 50% shareholder (once its been agreed and accountant gives the nod).

Should I also make her a Director as well? Does it strengthen the case for Entrepreneurs Relief or is Co Secretary enough?
    My wife is company secretary and AFAIK that qualifies her (or I've been wrongly advised).

Edit: "Disposal of shares in your personal company":
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ing-conditions

you must be either an officer or employee of that company (or an officer or employee of one or more members of the trading group)
    You also need to own at least 5% of the shares and the company must be a trading one.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 10 November 2015, 13:55.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorBanking
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Even if you don't pay them a salary, if you're making your spouse a shareholder do strongly consider making them either a director or company secretary so they can be eligible for entrepreneurs relief in the future on any capital distribution, or you could end up paying more CGT than you need to.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mine has found errors my former accountant made that will result in a nice tax refund.
    Of which you won't see a penny lol

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Ah yes a cautionary tale. Personally, I'd never let my mrs do anything important. Sad I know and possibly a bit anal but I know what shes like!
    This would have been me if I'd let her.
    Luckily for me mine is half way through her ACCA and has my father (who happens to be an FCA with 40 years practice) to lean on.
    I won't pretend she never drops the ball but there's always an assist to back her up.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Ah yes a cautionary tale. Personally, I'd never let my mrs do anything important. Sad I know and possibly a bit anal but I know what shes like!
    This would have been me if I'd let her.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well remembered and searched!!

My admin did take a bit of time but Freeagent has cut that quite a bit. Not sure how other freeagent using accountants work but Gorilla Accounting sent me a quarterly review this week which was great. Should considerably cut the to and fro'ing at year end that often happens. Bank statements imported, VAT, PAYE and the like all submitted with a click or two. No real need for anyone else to get involved.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    If my Mrs did all this it would take me an hour sorting out the mess she'd have made of it.
    why?? what could possibly go wrong with your wife running the books?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X