• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New company formation - dividend split husband/wife

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mine has found errors my former accountant made that will result in a nice tax refund.
    Of which you won't see a penny lol
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Even if you don't pay them a salary, if you're making your spouse a shareholder do strongly consider making them either a director or company secretary so they can be eligible for entrepreneurs relief in the future on any capital distribution, or you could end up paying more CGT than you need to.
      Thanks for that - that's a very good point indeed. Going to chase up with my accountant.

Currently the missus is only the Co Secretary and will be a 50% shareholder (once its been agreed and accountant gives the nod).

Should I also make her a Director as well? Does it strengthen the case for Entrepreneurs Relief or is Co Secretary enough?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
        Thanks for that - that's a very good point indeed. Going to chase up with my accountant.

Currently the missus is only the Co Secretary and will be a 50% shareholder (once its been agreed and accountant gives the nod).

Should I also make her a Director as well? Does it strengthen the case for Entrepreneurs Relief or is Co Secretary enough?
        My wife is company secretary and AFAIK that qualifies her (or I've been wrongly advised).

Edit: "Disposal of shares in your personal company":
        https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ing-conditions

you must be either an officer or employee of that company (or an officer or employee of one or more members of the trading group)
        You also need to own at least 5% of the shares and the company must be a trading one.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 10 November 2015, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Mine has found errors my former accountant made that will result in a nice tax refund.
          Sadly my mrs idea of a result would be some nice new shoes shes found on sale....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
            Agreed. It worries me when I see couples talking about "his money" and "my money".
            How can you share a life but not share everything in that life?

A little off topic now though, so I'll stop pontificating.
            Because some women (and men) are crap with money. If me and my ex had had a joint account she'd have bankrupted me years ago.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
              Because some women (and men) are crap with money. If me and my ex had had a joint account she'd have bankrupted me years ago.
              And I thought my Mrs was bad. Maybe I should be grateful. Shes not that bad - she has access to bank accounts and more importantly, additional card on my amex plantinum with big limit.

All I need to do is occasionally sit here down and have a quiet word. Still annoying mind that I have to keep doing it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

As said below, you need to be an officer or an employee to benefit. A company secretary would qualify as an officer.

Comment

70/30 here
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                    70/30 here
                    What's the reason for the 70/30 split and why not 50/50?

Curious to know the reasoning behind the split.

Comment

What's the reason for the 70/30 split and why not 50/50?

Curious to know the reasoning behind the split.
                      Advice of accountant plus i think it's feels right regards Mrs contribution, I am doing a lot of the work, and she contributes to admin and decision making
                      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X