• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paid into an old umbrella account rather than ltd account"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by ThisScepteredIsle View Post
    My ltd company management are raising an invoice for the difference and sending this to the agent.
    Pick up the phone ? Never thought of that. Jesus.
    You shouldn't be doing that. Nothing will balance.

What seems to have happened (and please correct me if I'm wrong since it is largely guesswork from the somewhat limited information).

1. An invoice has been raised by you (or rather somebody on your behalf which is a potential warning signal) for some amount, let's call it £1,000, to your agency for services you have provided for their client.

2. Agency has accidentally paid £1,000 to SomeUmbrella.

3. SomeUmbrella has paid you (into your personal account has it happens) the net from this. Lets call it £700

4. You (well your "management") propose to rectify this by issuing another invoice for £300 (the difference between the original invoice and the net payment you received from SomeUmbrella).

There is quite a lot wrong with that. (Not least of which is you are carrying a creditor from 300 quid forwards; even assuming some attempt is done to reconcile the personal payment received).

The only way it can really be rectified is:-

a) Return the payment to the umbrella.
    b) Umbrella unwind this (which will be a pain for them but nevertheless what were they doing taking payments for somebody they don't employ and putting it through payroll)
    c) Agency actually pay the invoice to your company correctly

I think this was mentioned but didn't want to be heard.

There is an alternative:-

1. Issue a credit note for the value of the original invoice. You sales ledger is then still correct
    2. Accept the personal payment from the Brolly.

Of course this leaves you out of pocket by (part of) the deductions (and it will complicate your SATR slightly).

You could then of course negotiate with the agent and see if they will accept an invoice for the difference (actually this over compensates you but I will gloss over that).

Perhaps this is what you mean when you describe the raising of another invoice.

However, at the end of the day it is the agency problem (assuming that contracts were appropriately agreed etc). They have not strictly paid the invoice so you could chase it up. Ok, they have made a random payment to a random umbrella instead, but that is really their problem not yours.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    My ltd company management are raising an invoice for the difference and sending this to the agent.
    Can you clarify? If you are running a Ltd co you should be raising the invoices; if another company is raising them for you, you should be worried

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Agree with the above refund the umbrella, and get the agency to sort it out. You still haven't been paid.

Just phone them up.

Also the umbrella will be transfering the money to HMRC, you need to stop that.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 March 2015, 13:17.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    If your contract with agency has been novated from Umbrella Limited to your Co Limited then:

(a) Agency still owe YourCo Limited
    (b) You have been paid in error by Umbrella Limited

Inter alia

(c) Agency had no instruction to pay Umbrella Limited

But you need to check, and be on top of, the paperwork. No one else is going to sort it out, part of a directors role is dealing with this type of problem (or paying an Umbrella to do it for you).

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.

Wow advice from somebody who can't spell it.

The agency made a mistake. It was paid into my personal, not my business bank account. That's what you do as a ltd. My payment goes to a BUSINESS bank account.
    My Accountants let me know what I can draw.
    I have no idea what you are waffling on about, or why you quoted my post.

Leave a comment:

• ThisScepteredIsle
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    This, except I would be insisting on the agent doing step 4 immediately as it was their cock-up.
    Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.

Wow advice from somebody who can't spell it.

The agency made a mistake. It was paid into my personal, not my business bank account. That's what you do as a ltd. My payment goes to a BUSINESS bank account.
    My Accountants let me know what I can draw.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Then you are doing it entirely wrong. You've been erroneously paid by an umbrella company and they require their money back. Your contract says you get paid by the agency, not by someone else.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
    1. You pay the umbrella back
    2. They pay the agent back
    3. They deduct the PAYE/Ni from their next return
    4. The agent pays all of the money to your Limited company.
    This, except I would be insisting on the agent doing step 4 immediately as it was their cock-up.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Oh behave with this nonsense!

I took a wage from my limited in all the time I contracted.

And if he has a managed service company arrangement, he's right to refer to it as such.
    If he's operating via an MSC then he has bigger problems than this looming.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    What others already said plus:

These two makes me believe they made the payment to the correct bank account. Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.
    Oh behave with this nonsense!

I took a wage from my limited in all the time I contracted.

And if he has a managed service company arrangement, he's right to refer to it as such.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    What others already said plus:

My agency paid my weekly wage into the wrong account
    My ltd company management are raising an invoice for the difference and sending this to the agent
    These two makes me believe they made the payment to the correct bank account. Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.

Leave a comment:

• ThisScepteredIsle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Forbes Young
    replied
    My agency paid my weekly wage into the wrong account costing me a couple of hundred. The last three payments went in correctly to my ltd but the last went in to an old umbrella , who promptly deducted the tax, NI and fee.
    What do I do to get my money back ? I have already e-mailed to ask them to give me back the difference . Why should I lose money because of their mistake ?
    Have you kept the money from the Umbrella? I believe sorting out a situation where you are paid the difference is going to get quite complicated.

In reality the whole transaction should be reversed as I assume you don't have a contract with the umbrella anymore.

1. You pay the umbrella back
    2. They pay the agent back
    3. They deduct the PAYE/Ni from their next return
    4. The agent pays all of the money to your Limited company.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    The tidiest solution may be for them to pay you into the ltd straight away while they approach the umbrella for a refund. And obviously you should prepare to refund the net amount you've had to the umbrella.

These things are easily sorted, surely just pick up the phone?

Leave a comment:

• Paid into an old umbrella account rather than ltd account

My agency paid my weekly wage into the wrong account costing me a couple of hundred. The last three payments went in correctly to my ltd but the last went in to an old umbrella , who promptly deducted the tax, NI and fee.
    What do I do to get my money back ? I have already e-mailed to ask them to give me back the difference . Why should I lose money because of their mistake ?

Working...
X