• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Charity payment from company funds"

Collapse

• jjdarg
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Are you comparing like with like there? To match the amount received by the charity (after relief) the company would need to contribute £2k.

Instead, if £1600 dividend is paid from post-tax profit and made as a personal contribution the charity still receives £2k (after relief) and it still effectively costs the company £2k. However, basic rate allowance is increased and a £1800 further dividends can be taken before high rate tax, thus saving the contractor 22.5% on £200 worth of dividends.

So I think for the Higher Rate Tax Payer its better to gift-aid personally, up to the limit of tax paid (including the notional 10% tax on dividends).

Happy to stand corrected if that's wrong.
    But if you choose not to use Gift Aid as a personal donor, don't you get the increase in taxable allowance, and not the charity? Wouldn't that affect the calculations? Almost everything I see never mentions this, but it must be a provision?

Just thinking about this myself. (Gift aid or not to gift aid, and how to do it...not thinking about donating to a worthy individual)

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
    To take a dividend you need to pay corporation tax beforehand on pre-tax company profits eg profits are £2,000, less CT = £400 = £1600 to take as a dividend. If the £1600 was paid personally to a Registered Charity the Tax Relief would be the the same as that derived from the taxable dividend income so no tax to pay on the £1600 received. If the company pays directly, then the £1600 is allowable for corporation tax, so profit would be £400 & corporation tax payable would be £80, leaving £320 to take as a dividend. So for the Higher Rate Tax Payer its better for the company to pay directly.
    Are you comparing like with like there? To match the amount received by the charity (after relief) the company would need to contribute £2k.

Instead, if £1600 dividend is paid from post-tax profit and made as a personal contribution the charity still receives £2k (after relief) and it still effectively costs the company £2k. However, basic rate allowance is increased and a £1800 further dividends can be taken before high rate tax, thus saving the contractor 22.5% on £200 worth of dividends.

So I think for the Higher Rate Tax Payer its better to gift-aid personally, up to the limit of tax paid (including the notional 10% tax on dividends).

Happy to stand corrected if that's wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Forbes Young
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Yes. But...

I believe it's marginally more efficient to do this. ^^

Might be something to do with difference between corp. tax (20%) and additional rate on dividends (22.5%).
    To take a dividend you need to pay corporation tax beforehand on pre-tax company profits eg profits are £2,000, less CT = £400 = £1600 to take as a dividend. If the £1600 was paid personally to a Registered Charity the Tax Relief would be the the same as that derived from the taxable dividend income so no tax to pay on the £1600 received. If the company pays directly, then the £1600 is allowable for corporation tax, so profit would be £400 & corporation tax payable would be £80, leaving £320 to take as a dividend. So for the Higher Rate Tax Payer its better for the company to pay directly.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Charity doesn't need gift aid, as company donates gross, there is no tax to pay on LTD donating to registered charity.
    Yes. But...

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It should be noted that taking a dividend and then using this to make a charitable donation personally causes your tax allowances to be increased accordingly (actually slightly more and there are limits) so you will not be penalised in terms of income tax for doing this.
    I believe it's marginally more efficient to do this. ^^

Might be something to do with difference between corp. tax (20%) and additional rate on dividends (22.5%).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    only if the donation is to a registered charity....
    Yes but we already covered that. If they're not registered, they're not a charity

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It should be noted that taking a dividend and then using this to make a charitable donation personally causes your tax allowances to be increased accordingly (actually slightly more and there are limits) so you will not be penalised in terms of income tax for doing this.
    only if the donation is to a registered charity....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by computerguru View Post
    Sorry, why you think it is funny? I asked this for a reason. I know of a person who is ill and I would like to contribute some £££ for his healthcare. is there anything wrong/funny about it?
    As has been pointed out - giving a donation to a registered charity is fine. Giving money to a friend to pay for their healthcare - not tax deductible.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You have also got to make sure you are not connected to the person/charity or gaining benefit from it in any way. Donating it to the local football club your son plays for won't wash etc.

Giving such a large chunk of your money looks extremely fishy IMO.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You can't just give some person money (no matter how sick or deserving they are) and treat it as a business expense, I'm a bit boggled how you think it could be possible.

If the person is a registered charity then it would be possible, but that's not an expense, that's a donation to a charity which is allowable and reduces your taxable profit.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by computerguru View Post
    Sorry, why you think it is funny? I asked this for a reason. I know of a person who is ill and I would like to contribute some £££ for his healthcare. is there anything wrong/funny about it?
    Yep, you really shouldn't do it via the business. You can do it on a personal basis but the separate legal entity (your company) has to be treated as the emotionless professional legal entity it is supposed to be...

Leave a comment:

• computerguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    The first bit was a reasonable enough question. That bit though,

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    Company donation to a registered charity - charity loses out on Gift Aid.
    Non registered charity (i.e. your mate) - just wrong on so many levels...

Good explanation here:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...eductable.html
    Charity doesn't need gift aid, as company donates gross, there is no tax to pay on LTD donating to registered charity.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-limited-compa...arity/overview

Basically it lowers your corporation tax as it reduces your profit if you donate via a LTD company.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Company donation to a registered charity - charity loses out on Gift Aid.
    Non registered charity (i.e. your mate) - just wrong on so many levels...

Good explanation here:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...eductable.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X