• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do I really pay less tax as a limited company"

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Going direct to client, or an agent setting up a direct client contract and taking a fee seems the obvious way to side step the T&S nonsense

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    When are the t&s changes supposed to be happening? In 7 months or 19?

Anyway, with the dividend tax I think you will be around 2k worse off than you were before (not counting the utter destruction of your investments and pension). This is not the same as only saving 2k a year versus going permy and hitting the 60% tax rate + national insurance etc.
    April 2016

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I'm just thinking with all the T&S and other stuff that could kick in, can I be bothered staying ltd if it saves only one or two grand a year?
    When are the t&s changes supposed to be happening? In 7 months or 19?

Anyway, with the dividend tax I think you will be around 2k worse off than you were before (not counting the utter destruction of your investments and pension). This is not the same as only saving 2k a year versus going permy and hitting the 60% tax rate + national insurance etc.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Because not all companies calling themselves umbrella companies are legit.
    Fair comment. I was just thinking out loud about different options that we may all have next year - wondering if those of us that have to head to the smoke more often than not may fair better with an umbrella company for example.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Aah the 90% retention brollies, whats not to like

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Some don't like you going through Umbrella Companies either (no idea why)

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Agencies Act 1978?
    It's something like that, I shouldn't be so lazy and go a find out. Mind you when I first went contracting in 1993 sole trader was discussed with the accountant in conjunction with LTD.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    That does sound daft, the sole trader option seems to be discounted due to some legislation.
    Agencies Act 1978?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    That does sound daft, the sole trader option seems to be discounted due to some legislation.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    But operating as a Sole trader via agencies isn't an option though is it?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
    Operating through their own ltd company doesn't suit everyone of course eg those workers who are on very short term contracts, those earning low incomes and those who simply cant be bothered with the hassle of owning a ltd company. So to operate via an Umbrella or operate as a Sole Trader are other options available.
    But operating as a Sole trader via agencies isn't an option though is it?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There are some calcs in the threads in response to the other knee jerk posts I believe. STJ as summarised it nice and simply.
    I'm just thinking with all the T&S and other stuff that could kick in, can I be bothered staying ltd if it saves only one or two grand a year?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    On a more serious note, has anyone run the number on the comparison between dividend tax increases and corporation tax decreases and where it leaves us?
    There are some calcs in the threads in response to the other knee jerk posts I believe. STJ as summarised it nice and simply.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
    Maybe in Apr 2016 its time to switch to Permie with new dividend tax??
    so 2k-ish a yr extra to Gideon sends you back permie, YANCOTBAC,

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It appears so.
    On a more serious note, has anyone run the number on the comparison between dividend tax increases and corporation tax decreases and where it leaves us?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X