• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    That's a handy fact. No vids of dancing northern construction workers though ...
    When I was little, my Dad took me to see it being built. The bridge bed was made in hollow metal box sections. These were floated down (or up) the river and raised into place. As Mum, Dad & I watched, one of these was lifted up, swing into place, and the bottom half of the construction worker who was in the way slowly fell into the river.

That ensured I had an interest in the bridge from then on.

Rather than do modern day counselling to allow me to contact me inner feelings and release them, my Dad got a glossy booklet from the construction company all about it. This had lots of diagrams and drawings and details such as how many tons of concrete were used, how the tops of the columns are 9" further apart than the bottoms to compensate for the curvature of the earth, that 71,000 kilometres of steel wire (of various grades) were used and other good stuff about how the foundations were built and the access ramps designed.

Thus from 'orrible little urchins are nerds grown.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Evening all.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
        When I was little, my Dad took me to see it being built. The bridge bed was made in hollow metal box sections. These were floated down (or up) the river and raised into place. As Mum, Dad & I watched, one of these was lifted up, swing into place, and the bottom half of the construction worker who was in the way slowly fell into the river.

That ensured I had an interest in the bridge from then on.

Rather than do modern day counselling to allow me to contact me inner feelings and release them, my Dad got a glossy booklet from the construction company all about it. This had lots of diagrams and drawings and details such as how many tons of concrete were used, how the tops of the columns are 9" further apart than the bottoms to compensate for the curvature of the earth, that 71,000 kilometres of steel wire (of various grades) were used and other good stuff about how the foundations were built and the access ramps designed.

Thus from 'orrible little urchins are nerds grown.
        It was quite a tourist attraction in its day.

I was taken up to see and cross it when it had recently opened. I think we even came away from that trip with some Humber Bridge souveniers.

Simpler, happier days.

I wonder if people still travel to go and see it?

Comment

That's a grim image for a little kid but easier to get over than seeing it as an adult I would imagine.
          My dad took me to the Kariba dam one day (we were living nearby at the time! I guess I was about 5) and carefully explained how long it took to build , how many people had died during its constuction and that about six people were entombed in the concrete. I looked down over the dam and thought wow - how did they do that. That wow thing never went away so I'm at a loss to explain why I ended up doing this for a living.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

You mean that "take care, the pie will be hot" scene was real?
            I might make the effort to watch it tonight. Or not.

http://tvnz.co.nz/police-ten-7

About the Show

Thursday 29 October at 7.30pm:

Detectives in the Bay of Plenty bust a 'P' house, and Auckland police catch some brazen thieves in the act.

Click here to watch the classic "Always blow on the pie" video from Police Ten 7.

Safer communities together!

About Police Ten 7

TV2's top rating, crime-busting show is back with more action from the frontline, more current cases to solve and crime 'hot spots' from around the country.

Presenter, Detective Inspector (ret) Graham Bell, says that the secret to the series' crime-fighting success is simple.

"We are current in the cases that we feature, we strike while its hot and we're going to keep featuring cases that are as up to date as possible, and to assist Police in their work. All it takes is the right person watching at the right time and it's the viewers calls that's making the difference."
            Last edited by Gonzo; 29 October 2009, 00:05. Reason: Added linky.

Comment

Ouch. Just cleared up a bit after dinner and think I've got a bit of chilli in my eye, so my left eye is crying and my right is not. Bugger!
              +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                That Amsterdam accent is a bitch isn't it?
                As in so many things, The Netherlands is opposite to England - over there, the Northern accent is received pronunciation. Given that Gerda was also Noord Hollandish, it wasn't the Dam accent that got me: it was the fact that I only knew enough Dutch to order beer and keep the mayonnaise off my chips

Still, I was already much better than the average Englishman just for knowing so much as one word of Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  I might make the effort to watch it tonight. Or not.

http://tvnz.co.nz/police-ten-7

Quality entertainment

Comment

Am leaving TPD for the evening so goodnight all
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Three miles visibility at Liverpool Crosby - that must mean you can see Bootle from there tonight

Goodnight denizens

Comment

Working...
                      X