• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have had dinner. Are there any non-loonies around?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Have had dinner. Are there any non-loonies around?
      No

HTH

Comment

Are you in the pub? The "strange people" are out tonight. Stay away from the moor.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Are you in the pub? The "strange people" are out tonight. Stay away from the moor.
          They're at the next table - I think they're students

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            They're at the next table - I think they're students
            Fangs, hair, howling? Get a cab to the hotel
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Fangs, hair, howling? Get a cab to the hotel
              Nah, it's some lass's 19th - they'll be heading into town, whereas my hotel is literally at the city limits

Comment

If you say so, but I can feel a bad moon rising ...

How was dinner anyway?
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If you say so, but I can feel a bad moon rising ...

How was dinner anyway?
                  Good, thanks

I wasn't able to get my favourite table, but I got a spec adjacent thereto. The chaps who were there turned out to quite enjoyable to eavesdrop on from time to time, so I didn't begrudge them the prime spec.

Initially I assumed they were geologists, probably a masters or doctoral student being advised by his supervisor. I later revised this - I think that the younger was indeed a geologist at such a level, clearly receiving advice on how to write his first proper scientific paper for publication; but the older was probably his father or a similarly close relative, whose expertise lies in the field of English Literature, but includes a hefty component of How to Write Stuff, together with a tremendous breadth of General Knowledge

At one point, after the younger one had put his MacBook away and their conversation had become slightly more general (it was primarily about how best to write a paper until then), the older one started talking about the history of techniques scientists had used to estimate the age of the Earth, and how the Curies' discovery of radioactivity had led to all previous estimates based on thermal data having to be revised, as it had not previously been appreciated that there was such a thing as radioactivity causing additional thermal input to the system.

He then made some comment which I didn't hear, but which provoked confusion in the younger one: the older one laughed and said "Oh, there's a Creationist amongst the graduate students. I refuse to discuss these matters with him."

He then went off into a very interesting digression about that theory of the World being created in 4004BC, but with all the evidence that it was much older built-in as a trap for those lacking in faith. As he said, there is no possible scientific answer to such notions; they should therefore be placed firmly in the realms of theology.

I wasn't eavesdropping, honestly

And in fact I managed to read quite a bit of The Grauniad while I wasn't eavesdropping, whilst still garnering the salient points

Comment

Moderate showers at Liverpool Crosby

Goodnight denizens

Comment

Goodnight Nick.

Comment

Working...
                      X