• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    This was the same site where I managed to wangle a weekends worth of overtime playing the original Doom on the banks network.
    I *may* have also done something similar in the past. One of my main responsibilities at a former employer was maintenance of the Quake server. More resource went into that single single box than any other part of the IT infrastructure. It was the first company server to make it's way onto a 100Mbit backbone.

We later upgraded to a new box that for a brief spell was one of the most powerful Intel PC servers in the UK - a quad processor box running pre-release PII silicon from Intel.

Happy days.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Rinse and repeat a couple of times till all the kit had been tested. Jot down the service tag numbers of the ones that failed and make it look good for the Boss on monday morning.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Then go an play DOOM for a couple of hours while I waited for them to finish.
        Did you ever play the "Aliens TC" mod for Doom - that was brilliant.
        Last edited by voodooflux; 14 January 2009, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
          I *may* have also done something similar in the past. One of my main responsibilities at a former employer was maintenance of the Quake server. More resource went into that single single box than any other part of the IT infrastructure. It was the first company server to make it's way onto a 100Mbit backbone.

We later upgraded to a new box that for a brief spell was one of the most powerful Intel PC servers in the UK - a quad processor box running pre-release PII silicon from Intel.

Happy days.
          The bank network was run on token ring at the time. The support office was the first one to get a TCP/IP stack up and running on the network specifically so we could play games and surf the net on company time

Comment

This being the days of windows 3.1 and setting it all up manually in config.sys and making sure it fit in base memory without breaking anything important

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              Did you ever play the "Aliens TC" mod for Doom - that was brilliant.
              I may well have done, but I really can't remember these days

Comment

I may well have done, but I really can't remember these days
                It was a mod for Doom that took the player through the storyline of the Aliens movie. It caused quite a stir at the time in circles.

Comment

Oh.

I've missed another century...

Comment

Morning all
                    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                      I've missed another century...
                      Me too

Comment

Working...
                      X