• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

So let me ask you this. Why can Churchill say **** unstarred whenever he wants?

And it isfor the same reason that you can swear?
    What makes you think he can? If the thread is deleted, you don't see it. Usually deletion seems to happen pretty early in the morning - I've seen four separate threads disappear in one night before now.

I assume that, if the relevant person doesn't notice the thread and complain, nothing gets done.

I still don't know why I've managed to get away with circumventing the filter on a few occasions. I can only assume that either it wasn't noticed, or the mods agreed with me - after all, I've only ever done it to express a heartfelt opinion

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Evening FAQqer!

How's things (apart from the glorious accommodation)?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm confused about why we can't say a certain username for someone who was banned. I wasn't here for the banning, though - what was it for?

(And have you got the blog link?)
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          You really should be careful. From what I've been able to deduce, that person has some kind of legal hold over the admins that requires them to delete any thread mentioning her if she requests that they do so, otherwise they leave themselves open to legal action. Don't go thinking that this thread is immune - the admins have no interest in deleting TPD, but if faced with the threat of incurring large legal bills, they would.
          I'm intrigued as to what kind of hold that might be.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              Evening Vicar!

Comment

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
                Evening Vicar!
                Damn, did I leave my webcam on again...

How goes it?
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I'm confused about why we can't say a certain username for someone who was banned. I wasn't here for the banning, though - what was it for?

(And have you got the blog link?)
                  It was pretty complicated, and discussion of it usually leads to thread deletion and/or banning.

As far as the legal stuff is concerned: the threat of legal action is usually sufficient to cause people to back down. For various reasons this person is able to make a credible case for claiming that threads referring to them by username should be treated as identifying them in real life, which allows them to threaten legal action. Naturally, the admins aren't going to risk incurring enormous legal bills when they can just delete the thread and avert the threat.

Numerous threads have been deleted as a result. It's died down a bit lately, mainly because the other board member involved in the real-world shenanigans has stopped making posts mentioning the first member.

Mind you, a thread was deleted in short order on the 11th December when they tried to resurrect the topic. I think that was the most recent one.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    It was pretty complicated, and discussion of it usually leads to thread deletion and/or banning.

As far as the legal stuff is concerned: the threat of legal action is usually sufficient to cause people to back down. For various reasons this person is able to make a credible case for claiming that threads referring to them by username should be treated as identifying them in real life, which allows them to threaten legal action. Naturally, the admins aren't going to risk incurring enormous legal bills when they can just delete the thread and avert the threat.

Numerous threads have been deleted as a result. It's died down a bit lately, mainly because the other board member involved in the real-world shenanigans has stopped making posts mentioning the first member.

Mind you, a thread was deleted in short order on the 11th December when they tried to resurrect the topic. I think that was the most recent one.
                    Thank goodness there is a copy of TPD, eh!

(Do you spider the whole of CUK as well??)
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      I'm intrigued as to what kind of hold that might be.
                      I thought you run, or ran, a forum?

Remember the Demon Internet case? Case law derived from that, which is the primary relevant law in England and Wales, suggests that once you have been notified of user-generated content that somebody claims is offensive or libellous, your only protection from legal action is to take all reasonable steps to remove the offending content as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X