• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    tulip.

Just been invited to a leaving do for one of the admin staff at Client Co.

Bear in mind the last time this happened as a young 22 year old sockpuppet I got drunk and shagged one of the office ladies who was mid forties.

No alcohol for me this time I feel.

It sounded great - isn't that what you do at 22?

You wait until you get to my age - twice yearly nearly.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Evening denizens

This evening's première is a very small affair on the north side of the square, at one of the small cinemas - nobody very famous, I don't reckon.
      only Elton John and the Queen then

Comment

I just got something working

Now I need to get another thing working

Once I've done that I should be able to get the thing working that was working until they restructured the whole application last week
        where are the details?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          where are the details?
          Far too tedious for that... certain files such as images are now stored in a different place in the development system, but for deployment they'll probably reside on a separate server. So it was just a case of moving some paths which had been hard-coded in the initial prototype into a configuration file, and ensuring that there are separate configurations for local paths and URL paths...

Now I'm setting it up to, by default, generate a number of standard sizes of image file from uploaded originals, while allowing the content managers the flexibility to adjust the cropping and zooming so that, for example, a large image for illustrating an article can, in the smaller version used on the articles index page, be zoomed and cropped so as to focus on the key element in the image.

For example, a photograph of a band might show them full-length looking moody leaning against a wall, but for the small version you zoom and crop it to the lead singer's face, so people can see who it is at a glance.

All rather dull, really

Comment

An overwhelming feeling of stuckness has come over me...

Best to carry on tomorrow, methinks

Later denizens

Comment

Far too tedious for that... certain files such as images are now stored in a different place in the development system, but for deployment they'll probably reside on a separate server. So it was just a case of moving some paths which had been hard-coded in the initial prototype into a configuration file, and ensuring that there are separate configurations for local paths and URL paths...

Now I'm setting it up to, by default, generate a number of standard sizes of image file from uploaded originals, while allowing the content managers the flexibility to adjust the cropping and zooming so that, for example, a large image for illustrating an article can, in the smaller version used on the articles index page, be zoomed and cropped so as to focus on the key element in the image.

For example, a photograph of a band might show them full-length looking moody leaning against a wall, but for the small version you zoom and crop it to the lead singer's face, so people can see who it is at a glance.

All rather dull, really
              Well I ejoyed it!

top quality stuff really.

Comment

An overwhelming feeling of stuckness has come over me...

Best to carry on tomorrow, methinks

Later denizens
                good idea.

Comment

Torrential downpour in the West End tonight - or an April shower, depending on interpretation... or according to taste

When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads,
                  They might as well be dead,
                  When the rain comes,
                  When the rain comes...

Heading from the pub to the Tube I made a detour through Leicester Square, just for the sake of seeing the tourists scuttling under the canopies, or trying to get to a place of safety using their newly-unfurled Portable Trees (as I like to describe umbrellas).

I can show you that when it rains and shines
                  It's just a state of mind,
                  I can show you,
                  I can show you...

I like the rain, me

Can you hear me, that when it starts to rain
                  Then everything's the same,
                  Can you hear me,
                  Can you hear me...

Apparently they couldn't, this evening

Comment

Upon getting back to the hotel, my keycard wouldn't open the door from reception into the area where they keep what they are pleased to call "the rooms"... the young lady on reception, holding out her hand for it so she could re-activate it, said "Has it been in the same pocket as your mobile phone?" - not so much a question as a statement.

"No, I replied, "I never..." (shoving my hand into my pocket as I began to speak and finding my mobile phone, put into said pocket several hours before and forgotten about) "...oh... er..."

To her credit, she didn't laugh at me - she was even polite enough not to laugh with me as I laughed at myself and apologised for having started to contradict her

It just goes to show - you should always examine the facts before questioning the opinion of those more knowledgeable in any given domain than yourself. A healthy reminder, and a useful caution against making assumptions even about what one thinks one knows for sure

Comment

I like the rain, me
                      So do I - it is very calming.

Comment

Working...
                      X