• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Meanwhile I was getting grief from arrogant Southern ponces for being from Manchester.

I get fed up with it in the end and taught myself to speak proper like wot they does.

Probably the most stupid thing I ever did. I am now lumbered with a bloody awful Norf London accent.
    I even had an English teacher who stood me up in front of the class and mocked my pronunciation. The fact that my ability at the academic work was streets ahead of the rest of the class seemed unimportant to him.

And so I too gradually developed a Home Counties accent

It's gradually worn away a little, but precisely once in the intervening years has a stranger guessed that I'm originally a Scouser.

Ho hum

Comment

"It is documented, isn't it?"

It's OK, I know how it works

Comment

Currently Active Users: 85 (3 members and 82 guests)
        View Who's Online
        BrowneIssue, flistaliA, threaded

Morning, threaded!

Who is "flistaliA"? This keeps happening. Are these accounts created by someone with malicious intent?

Are there loads of people spidering CUK and grinding it to a halt?

Do the mods actually monitor the usage logs to see what accounts are doing what?
        Yup, they're spam accounts. That's why new posters don't appear immediately. The mods seem to be very efficient at getting rid of them

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Afternoon denizens

Are we there yet?

We are there in the first three dimensions, but not yet in the the fourth.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Round here you can't put glass in the recycling.

That's annoying since it means we have to make a special trip to drive to the dump to recycle glass.

How crap is that?
            One of the bozos in another flat filled our glass recycling bin with bottles in carrier bags.

They refused to take them because of the bags.

For at least eighteen months

It might still be full of them now... I'll have to check before driving down to the bottle bank

Comment

It is now going so much faster that I am now convinced it was a server problemette.
              Maybe they fine-tuned it to cope with the spider

That wasn't running earlier by the way, so it couldn't have been the cause of the slowdown.

Because my hosting provider doesn't allow cron jobs or any other form of scheduled task on their virtual servers, what I actually have is a page which gets the next ten posts, updates the counter, and sends back a simple HTML page with a meta refresh of five seconds.

So when I fire up my laptop I open a new tab in Safari, point it to the URL, and away it goes, reloading itself every five seconds in the background.

Quite cunning, I thought

Comment

One of the bozos in another flat filled our glass recycling bin with bottles in carrier bags.

They refused to take them because of the bags.

For at least eighteen months

It might still be full of them now... I'll have to check before driving down to the bottle bank
                why I never speak to anyone from the council - full of jobsworth morons.

they only talk to men in spandex...

Comment

Maybe they fine-tuned it to cope with the spider

That wasn't running earlier by the way, so it couldn't have been the cause of the slowdown.

Because my hosting provider doesn't allow cron jobs or any other form of scheduled task on their virtual servers, what I actually have is a page which gets the next ten posts, updates the counter, and sends back a simple HTML page with a meta refresh of five seconds.

So when I fire up my laptop I open a new tab in Safari, point it to the URL, and away it goes, reloading itself every five seconds in the background.

Quite cunning, I thought
                  So can you leave the laptop on?

When is the eta now?

Comment

The spider was so slow a trickle that it wouldn;t be noticeable.

One thought that did occur to me was that it would result in the disk caches being refreshed and, if the data is stored in multiple files, could change the way the server holds the data.

It all depends upon what OS the server(s) uses.
                    Apache 2 server on Red Hat Linux.

Comment

Yup, they're spam accounts. That's why new posters don't appear immediately. The mods seem to be very efficient at getting rid of them
                      shame they aren't as effecient as getting rid of numpties in general. look at how long atw has been here.....

Comment

Working...
                      X