• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    And that's the second batch of beer bottled.

88 bottles of beer now go in the airing cupboard until next weekend...
    86 bottles of beer

Comment

88 bottles of beer
      85 bottles of beer...

This could take some time...

Comment

Gosh, but CUK is slow. Has anyone considered doing something about it?
        I'm not sure, but I think it's TPD (specifically in TPD) that's slow.

It may be that the database needs a tidy. Then again, it may not be

I'm also rather confused by those who believe that the size of TPD, or indeed of The Counting Thread, or any other thread, is somehow affecting the performance of CUK in its entirety.

I always assumed that a relational database server would (in principle) scale without regard to the size of a particular table, unless the overall database installation and administration was somehow borked.

But then again, what do I know; when I was at Y! there were people who knew loads (brain-the-size-of-a-planet-size-loads) more about these specific issues than I do

(Pre-emptive snarky comment: why are Y! using MySQL? Answer: they don't, except internally where it makes sense for a project, and maybe temporarily as stuff goes into freely-accessible beta; after that it's either Oracle, or their own internal application-specific stuff. Anybody here like to implement Y!'s user database on an RDB and make it all work in real time? Thought not )

Comment

I really ought to be devoting my time to spidering TPD, but I'm also tempted to buy vBulletin and create a shedload of random data, just to see if there's actually a problem with big threads. Then I can either report the matter as a bug to the vBulletin people, or definitively refute the bozos - given the hate and bile they spew over on General, it was only a matter of time before they turned their loathing of The Other to TPD. Maybe they'll listen to the facts.

Oh, silly me

Best buy vBulletin, then ask for a backup of TPD - it'll save me a lot of parsing
          Last edited by NickFitz; 15 March 2008, 03:29.

Comment

Anyway...

"I am the Walrus" came over the music-playing apparatus in the FMB bar tonight - the one-and-only-original version, not that sad copy by those losers from Manchester.

The lines
            "yellow matter custard
            dripping from a dead dog's eye"
            reminded me that most people don't actually know what the word "matter" means when used by that particular songwriter, or indeed by any native of Liverpool of sufficient age.

To a native of Lancashire (and Liverpool is, at the very least, surrounded by Lancashire), "matter" means "pus".

It is also used as a verb: "to matter" can mean either of "to be of significant relevance" or "to exude matter [i.e. pus]".

When Lancashire County Council hired a bunch of image consultants to come up with a pithy message for their border signs, they made the mistake of hiring people who knew nothing of the Lancashire vernacular, and who apparently felt it beneath their dignity to actually go there and ask.

The borders of the county were thus festooned with signs reading:

Lancashire

Where People Matter

with the result that every native of the county, returning home from the wider world, is confronted by the mental image of living in a place where people constantly exude pus.

Ho hum
            Last edited by NickFitz; 15 March 2008, 04:29. Reason: progressive enhancement

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              They do them continental size online - just checked for the one we have.

We have an Ikea king size bed, which is hard to get the right size mattress for too.

Well done!
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Possibly - we bought a king size UK mattress in the end.

It's smaller than the frame, but the gap is the right size for putting a box of tissues in between frame and mattress, which is handy.
                Slightly too much information...
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

L O BI
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

My hand is swollen and painful, My back is hurting coz I pulled it yesterday and I'm sneezing and snotting my brains out this morning.
                    I just have to keep telling myself that is always an option
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      funny? in what ay funny? is it going downhill?

Well done!

Comment

Working...
                      X