• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zeitghost
    More fingers than teeth 16,675
    TheFaQQer
    Godlike 9,999
    DS23
    TPDeity 8,477
    AtW
    Lord of Squirrels 8,238
    sasguru
    Godlike 8,216
    wendigo100
    Godlike 6,977
    DimPrawn
    Godlike 6,372
    SallyAnne
    Godlike like 6,369
    Diver
    Godlike 6,331
    Troll
    Godlike 5,354
    cailin maith
    Godlike 5,350
    Churchill
    doGlike 5,212
    The Lone Gunman
    Super poster 4,750
    threaded
    Super poster 4,728
    Bagpuss
    Super poster 4,425
    DaveB
    Super poster 4,336
    Lucifer Box
    Super poster 4,182
    n5gooner
    Super poster 3,679
    BrilloPad
    Super poster 3,387
    NickFitz
    Super poster 3,283
    realityhack
    Super poster 3,276
    BrowneIssue
    Super poster 3,250
    Ardesco
    Super poster 3,185
    Xenophon
    Super poster 3,176
    milanbenes
    Super poster 3,037
    DodgyAgent
    Super poster 3,028

Comment

Jack Wild (30 September 1952 – 2 March 2006) was an English actor who achieved fame for his roles in both stage and screen productions of the Lionel Bart musical Oliver!. For the latter performance (playing the Artful Dodger), he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor at the age of 16, but the Oscar went to Jack Albertson for his performance in The Subject Was Roses. Jack Wild appeared with actor Mark Lester in two films: Oliver! (1968) and Melody (1971).

Comment

Interspersed among the junk mail and spam that fills our Internet e-mail boxes are dire warnings about devastating new viruses, Trojans that eat the heart out of your system, and malicious software that can steal the computer right off your desk. Added to that are messages about free money, children in trouble, and other items designed to grab you and get you to forward the message to everyone you know. Most all of these messages are hoaxes or chain letters. While hoaxes do not automatically infect systems like a virus or Trojan, they are still time consuming and costly to remove from all the systems where they exist. At CIAC, we find that we spend much more time de-bunking hoaxes than handling real virus and Trojan incidents. These pages describe some of the warnings, offers, and pleas for help that are filling our mailboxes, clogging our mailservers, and that generally do not have any basis in fact.

Comment

Once again: Donald Duck is one of the most popular periodicals in all of the Nordic countries. When this topic came up on soc.culture.nordic some time ago, not one single person could ever remember DD being banned in their own country. The banning of a popular magazine should not be an easy thing to forget. It's easier to believe that this Wallechinsky, Wallace, and Wallace trio make a mistake than that everyone on the net from a particular country is suffering from mass amnesia. Unless anyone can come up with an actual citation from a Finnish source, i'd say the evidence is against your/their claim.

Comment

The silent sun that never shines

Comment

JUst had to wash up

Comment

She is the warmth of my lonely heart

Comment

I was hoping to wake up and see this thread erased from existance

Comment

My Christmas Message

And so this is Christmas
                    And what have you done?
                    Another year older
                    A new one just begun

As I look back over the past year on CUK, there are some memories, both happy and sad that really stand out at this traditional time for reflection. January, of course, saw the sad passing of Fleetwood. Although I never had the privilege of reading one of his posts (a time when I seldom posted or even lurked on CUK), I feel that through my copious use of the smilie those that knew him will still remember him fondly.

We've lost other CUK members throughout the year, both self-inflicted exile (Richard-af) and through the work of the team of moderators. Whether they exist or not under different guises isn't always clear, some will be missed, others will not. The demise of El Duder and ElectricChair seem to me to fit these categories nicely. Thankfully, some returned and have stayed - I'm sure we would enjoy CUK less if Cailin Dana had stayed away!

Cuk will always generate controversial topics and discussions - topics that make a change from house prices, immigration, squirrels, house prices, AtW's lunch, house prices and immigration. I found some of the comments made in some threads depressing and upsetting in equal measure - the drugs thread, SA asking for a pub in London and the debacle over whether to make the CUK FaceBook group private or not are examples that spring to mind rapidly. On more than once occasion, I have decided that enough is enough and left.

But then, there are some genius thread that appear. No doubt this is some of the legendary humour that existed on the "old board" before the arrival of the newbie scum. Pondlife's thread about Gordon Brown getting involved with Churchill's banning, and Beaker's "bad handshake" thread still make me laugh out loud and it's threads like these that make CUK fun and lure me back in.

And then, there is the wonder of TPD. For many months I ignored TPD. Until a wise man spoke to me - "You will never be a 'true' member of CUK until you get 500 TPDs. After that, 1000 TPDs and then FG is the target..." How those words have impacted on me. How they have changed my life. Possibly for the better, too. TPD has moved on over the last three months or so - a place for drivel, discussion, friendship and no fighting, where everybody knows your name. A refuge from some of the bitterness pervading the other fora, and a fine place it has become.

This past year has taught me much about contracting, and about people in general (specifically). Those of you I have met were delightful, and I only hope that at some stage I get the chance to meet more CUKers (particuarly those of you that post in TPD). The thouoght of meeting a bunch of people I only know as an online persona no longer scares me as much as it did a few weeks ago .

And so, this is Christmas.
                    I hope you have fun.
                    The near and the dear ones.
                    The old and the young.

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a prosperous 2008, from myself and my family to all of you and yours.

FaQ
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                      I'm sure FaQ is desperate to congratulate me, but due to his post cut off he can't
                      I was - it was a struggle not to post, so well done again!
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X