• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historically, the tank's main gun is generally fired by 'direct fire', in which its weapons were aimed through simple optical sights and laid onto target by hand, with windage estimated or assisted with a reticle (markings in the gun sight which are aligned to frame an object of known size, in this case a tank) to estimate the range to the target.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I started to concede defeat - surely there was no way I could make the airport on time.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Consequently, accuracy was limited at long range and concurrent movement and accurate shooting were largely impossible. Over time these sights were replaced with stereoscopic rangefinders, and later by laser range-finders. Direct fire contrasts with the 'indirect fire' mostly used by the artillery, in which artillerymen seldom, if ever, see their target.

Comment

Finally, we got onto the motorway.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            but surely everyone else thought that too....
            If you don't move your lips you can read faster

Comment

Most modern main battle tanks in the armies of industrialised countries still utilize "direct fire", but deploy laser range-finders. However, some optical and reticule range-finders are still in use in older and less sophisticated vehicles.

Comment

At last - we could accelerate and reach the airport quicker.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Other people had had the same idea!
                  told you! gar... if only you had asked my advice at the time...

Comment

Modern tanks have a variety of sophisticated systems to make them more accurate. Gyroscopes are used to stabilise the main weapon; computers calculate the appropriate elevation and aim-point, taking input from sensors for wind speed, air temperature, humidity, the gun-barrel temperature, warping and wear, the speed of the target (calculated by taking at least two sightings of the target with the range-finder), and the movement of the tank. Infrared, light-amplification, or thermal night vision equipment is also commonly incorporated. Laser target designators may also be used to illuminate targets for guided munitions. As a result modern tanks can fire with reasonable accuracy while on the move.

Comment

And then it happened.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X