• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's gonna be a long cold winter....
    I blame global warming.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Morning. Another crisp one, more windscreen scraping.

My train travels south-east in the morning. I hope our driver can see the buffers at Marylebone, or we'll be through them and into the Landmark hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        It's gonna be a long cold winter....
        It should last until the weekend anyway.

Comment

it is a beaut of a morning mate. gawd, i'm so excited about the rugby. can we? can we? please? i have a feeling i might get rather drunk if we do.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
            it is a beaut of a morning mate. gawd, i'm so excited about the rugby. can we? can we? please? i have a feeling i might get rather drunk if we do.
            Having no interest in sport (which I assume is what you're on about), I intend to get rather drunk just for the sake of it

Comment

There's even blue sky in Slough today - must be some kind of an omen!
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The War of Jenkins' Ear was a conflict between Great Britain and Spain that lasted from 1739 to 1748. After 1742 it merged into the larger War of the Austrian Succession.

Under the 1729 Treaty of Seville, the British had agreed not to trade with the Spanish colonies. To verify the treaty, the Spanish were permitted to board British vessels in Spanish waters. After one such incident in 1731, Robert Jenkins, captain of the ship Rebecca, claimed that the Spanish coast guard had severed his ear. The British government, which was determined to continue its drive toward commercial and military domination of the Atlantic basin, used this incident as an excuse to wage war against Spain in the Caribbean. In 1738 Jenkins exhibited his pickled ear to the House of Commons, whipping up war fever against Spain. To much cheering, the British Prime Minister, Robert Walpole, reluctantly declared war on October 23, 1739.

One of the first actions was the British capture, on November 22, 1739, of a minor silver-exporting town on the coast of Panama (then New Granada), called Puerto Bello in an attempt to damage Spain's finances. The poorly defended port was attacked by six ships of the line under Admiral Edward Vernon. The battle led the Spanish to change their trading practices. Rather than trading at centralised ports with large treasure fleets, they began using small numbers of ships trading at a wide variety of ports. They also began to travel around Cape Horn to trade on the west coast.[citation needed] Puerto Bello's economy was severely damaged, and did not recover until the building of the Panama Canal. In Britain the victory was greeted with much celebration, and in 1740, at a dinner in honour of Vernon in London, the song "God Save the King", now the British national anthem, was performed in public for the first time. Portobello Road in London is named after this victory and the battle was the most medalled event of the eighteenth century.

Comment

After I make my first million I will offer CUK folk a nice bribe to "accidentally" delete this thread.

Comment

won't bother me. i'll be long dead by then.

Comment

won't bother me. i'll be long dead by then.
                      ...and the sun will have become a red giant and swallowed up the earth.

PS If you do become very rich Alexei, remember who your mates are.

Comment

Working...
                      X