• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning

Lovely and sunny today because it is cold.

High today of 8 degrees and low of 1 degree

My right foot is aching but I found the missing odd sock I was looking for. It has been missing for 2 weeks. Now only 3 more to match. Though those are all black and different lengths....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Morning all

Dry and sunny, clear blue sky. Currently 4 degress ('feels like' 2) and will get up to 7 along with cloud cover increasing as the day progresses. Low chance of rain this evening. Barometer up to 1028 mBar.

I have a meeting with the Consultancy management this morning. Their email mentioned "additional work for [client]" so I'm guessing that means an extension is forthcoming at the end of the month.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
      Winston Churchill coins the phrase 'Iron Curtain' in his speech at Westminster College in Missouri 1946

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

Cold at 16.2 deg in here.

Sunless.

Patches of blue in the sky.

1031 mBar, inHg, 54% RH.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

Sun's out.

Gosh.

This must have been exciting:

https://assets.publishing.service.go.../QM2Report.pdf

Shirts out of the WM.

Cottons in the WM.

<hiatus>

Walk walked.

Sunny with a very lazy wind.

Smalls out of the TD.

Shirts in the TD.

Further to the battery charging thing: The Crypton AE3 battery charger has no cutout for when the battery is fully charged.

Thus, when I had an old battery on charge in the garage & forgot about it for a week, I came home to find a wire wound resistor* in said battery charger glowing an inneresting shade of red because the much abused battery had given up the ghost & gone short circuit.

Whilst the battery charger was hot, it seemed otherwise unaffected by this trauma.

*The "wirewound resistor" is a spiral of bare resistance wire.

Shirts out of the TD.

Cottons out of the WM and into the TD.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, bramble jelly sandwich on crust of same, bramble jelly sandwich on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Cottons out of the TD.

Shirts iRoned and hung up airing a bit.

It just struck me that I have an airing cupboard that has the boiler in it, unfortunately, being a cupboard, it's too full of junk to air anything.

Freecell score: 88%, running average 84% (83.6something%).

Tea: Tesco breaded haddock, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Police Interceptors.

Traffic Cops (this ep set in the northern caliphate area )

Enterprise S2 E14: "Stigma" wherein the mind meld is regarded as a disease.

"Alien Nation (1988)", it's over 30 years since I watched that in some cinema or other in Swansea.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 March 2021, 23:13.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Mostly cloudy, but there's a glimmer of sunshine getting through the cracks occasionally. Currently 5°C soaring to 6° later, 1023/1031mB, and no rain predicted

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            "The protection relays were capable of storing a record of why each trip had occurred. However, the option for storing historical data concerning blackouts was not chosen at build and the information which could have identified why the generators shut down was not recorded." And I'm sure somebody got a nice bonus for saving that "unnecessary" expenditure, and had been promoted far above the level of accepting any responsibility by the time the damn thing blew up

Comment

Just popped out the back to observe activity around the newly-vanished wall. There isn't any

Still, the manager guy comes on Wednesdays to take out the non-recyclable rubbish (no idea why; I assume it just fits into his schedule better than doing it the day before bin day), so finding himself unable to do so might prompt him to apply a boot to the rear-end of whoever's responsible. Or not; and if the wall is next door's responsibility, as I suspect, he might not be able to do anything more than plead.

Comment

Lunch: pancetta omelette

Battery's still charging. It had lost a few tenths of a volt overnight as well, so I suspect it might be up the creek. Still, I'll let it carry on for a while and hope for the best

Comment

Disconnected the battery from the charger and checked the voltage; 13.1V which is… too much

But I left it half-an-hour or so to settle down, as they can read differently when they've just been on charge, and it was a more reasonable 12.8V (and a few hundredths, can't remember). So I fitted it back into the car, which was easier after a previous attempt or two as I knew what to watch out for. Hooked it up and the car started with tremendous vim and vigour; a bit more enthusiastically than when the battery was new, I reckon

So as it seemed only right and proper to give it a bit of a run out, I popped down to Sainsbury's, where I was able to get stuff I'd missed off the order earlier in the week: important stuff like crisps and biscuits, as well as a few more frivolous luxuries like wholemeal bread and a pint of milk

The battery seems fine so far, but the real test will be the mildly chilly nights to come. We'll see if it still starts the car on Monday…

Anyway, I expected all that faffing around to have given a boost to my exercise ring, but you know what it gave me? Five measly minutes. So now I need to go for a walk; but it's also the day to collect the monthly prescription, so at least I can do the two-birds-one-stone thing

Comment

Talking to yourself again NF?

Anyways I had veggie curry for lunch cos it was left over.

Followed by chocolate to negate the health effects.

Currently listening to the PM's speech after he had Covid praising the NHS.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Planning for the worst now being kicked off. The phrase "we want to keep you but need to confirm what you'll be doing" doesn't leave me feeling all warm and snug.

Comment

Working...
                      X