• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Ironing done.

Cottons out of the WM and into the TD.

Strewth, it's all go, I tells you, all go.

And warm with it.

Thankfully it's a reasonable 22.5 deg in here currently.

Now what to do with the rest of the afternoon.

IIRC we left Howard Hunter in A Bit of A Pickle with that last ep.

<hiatus>

Cottons out of the TD, all done for the day.

The apples have been collected by those who wished to make cider.

Unfortunately they've left it a bit late so didn't really get very many, probably about 3 buckets at a guess.

Entertainment in the unbearable heat:

HSB S7 E20 "The Runner Falls on His Kisser" wherein the missingness of Howard is realised.

HSB S7 E21 "A Pound of Flesh" wherein Howard is located & rescued. Buntz is in trouble, with a certain Mr Cranston playing his PBA attorney. No crystal meth was involved in this episode, blue or otherwise. LaRue has a fortunate escape & gradually cracks up.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 August 2020, 15:46.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I put the chocolate Digestives in the fridge earlier for fear they'd all stick together in this heat. Might try some just to see if it worked

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I put the chocolate Digestives in the fridge earlier for fear they'd all stick together in this heat. Might try some just to see if it worked
        It did!

Comment

Tea: Tesco breaded haddock (chunky), orange segments and custard, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Phew wot a scorcher.

Can't remember the last time I ate a biscuit.

Must have been something I was given for Xmas coz I certainly don't buy them.

Entertainment (continued): next up is HSB S7 E22 "It Ain't Over Till It's Over " and with that, it was.

As it transpires the last ep was broadcast on April 4th 1989.

I left Siliconix on the 21st.

I'm not sure the two events are linked.

In some sort of coincidence, a place I worked at in Cwmbran is advertising.

I suspect they wouldn't be innerested in me since I barely lasted 3 months*.

*I can't remember exactly, it might have been 6 weeks. Miserable place. Leak detection in water pipes & sewers. I spent most of the time translating a French sewer testing spec using a French English dictionary. And when I wasn't doing that I was making cardboard models of possible options.

Palmer Environmental Ltd.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 August 2020, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            *I can't remember exactly, it might have been 6 weeks. Miserable place. Leak detection in water pipes & sewers. I spent most of the time translating a French sewer testing spec using a French English dictionary. And when I wasn't doing that I was making cardboard models of possible options.
            The French games company Ubisoft once provided me with a bunch of Atari ST 68000 ASM to "explain" how various bits of Night Hunter functioned while I was working on the Amiga version. The only comments were French, heavily abbreviated, teenage programmer vernacular

I ended up having to reverse-engineer it all to work out what was going on. On the bright side, I also ended up re-implementing various bits of the game mechanics (not platform-dependent) in a tenth of the number of lines of spaghetti code they'd used for the same functionality, and sometimes even fewer

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The French games company Ubisoft once provided me with a bunch of Atari ST 68000 ASM to "explain" how various bits of Night Hunter functioned while I was working on the Amiga version. The only comments were French, heavily abbreviated, teenage programmer vernacular

I ended up having to reverse-engineer it all to work out what was going on. On the bright side, I also ended up re-implementing various bits of the game mechanics (not platform-dependent) in a tenth of the number of lines of spaghetti code they'd used for the same functionality, and sometimes even fewer
              Show off.

I'm ringing wet with sweat after that tea.

Oh good.

I can save electricity.

I can shut the wireless off.

It's that "comedian" from southern Africa who thinks that Mugabe wasn't an evil bastard and it was all Tony Bliar's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Show off.
                Oh, it wasn't hard to write better code than their teenage hacker had

Comment

This is the first weekend with the pubs open again here. It's been very peaceful outside in the small hours for the last few months, but I assume tonight we'll be back to drunken hooting as people stagger home at various ungodly hours

Comment

Huge and delicious tea of roast gammon, chips, fried eggs, and beans

Huge joint too: around 1.5kg which is A Good Size in imperial measurements, and should therefore furnish a few more meals in the future

Comment

Entertainment (continued) (continued):

C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America (2004) - IMDb

An inneresting alternatve history wherein the Confederates win over the Union with the aid of the Brits and the French.

There's two commentary tracks.

Comment

Working...
                      X