• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Last day for Zeity, bet you're happy.

Anything planned during the break?
    Gardening.

Painting.

Car MOTing.

Probably other crap I've forgotten.

Comment

no contract then everything would go to my family in the ould sod.
      Not before the tax office steal most of it.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Not before the tax office steal most of it.
        I was quite surprised about that.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I was quite surprised about that.
          It doesn't surprise me at all because this country's governments have a voracious appetite for money, and that appetite has only got more voracious since the big banking bugger-up.

Comment

It doesn't surprise me at all because this country's governments have a voracious appetite for money, and that appetite has only got more voracious since the big banking bugger-up.
            Compared with what they slice and dice in the UK, I am. Though I may have to consider my options once the 30% ruling runs out, as I don't particularly want to get taxed on uk assets.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Compared with what they slice and dice in the UK, I am. Though I may have to consider my options once the 30% ruling runs out, as I don't particularly want to get taxed on uk assets.
              You see, once upon a time, about 20 years ago when I arrived in the Swamp, taxes were high but there were lots of tax breaks; you could even deduct consumer credit interest from your income tax, you could deduct pension and life policy contributions as well as your mortgage interest, and to top it all, what you got in return was excellent public provision, affordable healthcare, reliable and cheap public transport and almost everybody lived in quite decent housing. Even though I was never a lefty I could see the good side of the relatively high taxes. Since then, successive governments have 'saved us money' and 'made things more efficient' by privatising public transport, allowing housing corporations to go corporate and list on the stock exchange, selling off the elecrticity companies and abolishing the 'ziekenfonds' which provided health insurance for people on lower incomes. We now pay more tax, healthcare costs more than ever and takes more from the state than ever, public transport is no better, arguably worse and lagging behind the rest of Europe by 20 years, providing for your own pension is harder than ever partly because tht tax break's been limited, and people are more dissatisfied with their government than at any time in the past. And all the while, with all this extra revenue for the government, the country's debt just keeps on growing.

It's brilliant; perhaps the Brits should try it someday

Comment

You see, once upon a time, about 20 years ago when I arrived in the Swamp, taxes were high but there were lots of tax breaks; you could even deduct consumer credit interest from your income tax, you could deduct pension and life policy contributions as well as your mortgage interest, and to top it all, what you got in return was excellent public provision, affordable healthcare, reliable and cheap public transport and almost everybody lived in quite decent housing. Even though I was never a lefty I could see the good side of the relatively high taxes. Since then, successive governments have 'saved us money' and 'made things more efficient' by privatising public transport, allowing housing corporations to go corporate and list on the stock exchange, selling off the elecrticity companies and abolishing the 'ziekenfonds' which provided health insurance for people on lower incomes. We now pay more tax, healthcare costs more than ever and takes more from the state than ever, public transport is no better, arguably worse and lagging behind the rest of Europe by 20 years, providing for your own pension is harder than ever partly because tht tax break's been limited, and people are more dissatisfied with their government than at any time in the past. And all the while, with all this extra revenue for the government, the country's debt just keeps on growing.

It's brilliant; perhaps the Brits should try it someday
                Well I've only been living here for 3 years, and get a nice tax break at the moment as well as tax relief on my mortgage.

This will change in 7 years when that nice tax break runs out....

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Comment

Almost home time

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I've got someone coming to see the proximity detector at half past 3.

It was supposed to be at half past two.

Actually it was supposed to be at two o'clock.

Comment

Working...
                      X