• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I suggest that you stop doing it before you don't live to regret it...
    Perhaps not a sensible thing. Though I guess I've convinced myself over the years that it's safe because they're the outdoor micro-light type ones, non-removable bulbs, shrink-wrapped plastic round them etc....how else am I going to see where the water's going?

As for really silly things though, I think some of the stuff I did when I was a kid (6-7) sometimes leaves me wondering how I got this far. e.g. hammering a nail into my bedside light to hold it together because one of the screws came out, or having found a bullet (unfired) in a field, taking it home and wiring it to the fire-guard to see what happened when it was warmed up. My Dad wasn't too happy about that one when he came home and found that it was actually pointing directly at my mother while she was reading the papers.

Comment

Actually the bullet thing is not so dangerous.

I remember a hazing thing in the army where new recruits stood around a cartridge on a slab of stone and then took turns to throw a brick on it until it went off.

The reality is that a handkerchief would stop the bullet in such circumstances so unless it hit her in the eye no real damage would be done. A cartridge needs to be in a barrel to work correctly as it is the propellent that gives it the kenetic energy, whereas in your case it would only have that given from the primer, most of which should be absorbed by the propellent anyways.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Bump.

Threaded: Wouldnt the primer set off the propellent like it is supposed to?
        I can understand dropping a brick on a cartridge would likely split the cartridge or deform it in some way so that the energy is dispersed in all directions, I even understand that without a barrel the charge has much less direction, but I would have thought that a bullet set off by heat would still do some damage in the direction it was pointing.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Actually the bullet thing is not so dangerous.

I remember a hazing thing in the army where new recruits stood around a cartridge on a slab of stone and then took turns to throw a brick on it until it went off.

The reality is that a handkerchief would stop the bullet in such circumstances so unless it hit her in the eye no real damage would be done. A cartridge needs to be in a barrel to work correctly as it is the propellent that gives it the kenetic energy, whereas in your case it would only have that given from the primer, most of which should be absorbed by the propellent anyways.
          bit different if it was a shot gun shell.
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
            bit different if it was a shot gun shell.
            I can confirm that. When younger and sillier I was on a mate's farm, we 'borrowed' one of his dad's shotgun cartridges and placed it (firing pin towards us) on a distant hay bale, and took turns to try and hit it with an air rifle. When it went off the bale caught fire - we were tulip scared it was going to set the whole dry stubble field alight. Burned for ages.

Comment

Bump.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Bu....nnnnghhhh BUMP. This thread seems to be getting heavier.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

bumpery

Comment

bumpage

Comment

bumparama

Comment

Working...
                      X