• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I wish I could get brisket here, I've tried explaining but the butcher isn't sure what cut I'm talking about. The only meat cut guide I have is a "vlaamse" one that Mr N's mum gave to me from when she lived in Belgium, I think the cuts have different names in cloggers.
    Klapstuk. You might have to tell him not to hack it into little chunks
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      Morning!

Human Remains - useless feckers that seem to spread like mould when a corporation is making too much profit.

I went to Benares in Berkley Sq a few months ago - it was very, very good - art form food, but what struck me was how they made cauliflower have 4 different textures and feel like 4 completely different vegetables - genius.

I kinda like all the fancy food stuff, if it's done right and not just for the sake of it, but then I like the other extreme - homemade stews, pasta, pizzas and steaks.

It just has to be fresh food cooked really well and a restaurant with good atmosphere and friendly staff.

Speaking of which, must finish off my menu...

I'm off to a "culnair" festival with some friends tonight.

Every year all the local ( and some non local) restaurants set up shop in trailers in a local square and proffer their wares for way less than you'd pay in the restaurant.

Good way of working out who's crap and who's not.

Looking forward to seeing what our fave restaurant is doing this year, he always does posh play on summat ordinary. Last year it was lobster hot dog in a brioche bun and foie gras donuts.

mmmm Lekker!
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Well my 'Exit' interview went well.

No one from Remains turned up.

Worth noting at this juncture that technically I'm on a 'written disciplinary' atm for 'lack of performance'.
        Can't wait to see what they make of my complaints about various managers (included the HR manager) 'lack of performance'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Klapstuk. You might have to tell him not to hack it into little chunks
          ta!

They know me quite well not to cut stuff up, I'm also the weirdo that makes my own gehakt ( theirs is from some cut that tastes of nowt) and cures my own bacon and makes my own sausages.
          They asked me why I was buying so much spek one day and I explained I was making my own sausages and bacon, they were well shocked.

You also have to be pretty quick to tell them not to remove the huid from the spek as well.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            Well my 'Exit' interview went well.

No one from Remains turned up.

Worth noting at this juncture that technically I'm on a 'written disciplinary' atm for 'lack of performance'.
            Can't wait to see what they make of my complaints about various managers (included the HR manager) 'lack of performance'.
            You on a permie role or contract?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

ta!

They know me quite well not to cut stuff up, I'm also the weirdo that makes my own gehakt ( theirs is from some cut that tastes of nowt) and cures my own bacon and makes my own sausages.
              They asked me why I was buying so much spek one day and I explained I was making my own sausages and bacon, they were well shocked.

You also have to be pretty quick to tell them not to remove the huid from the spek as well.
              Yep, most cloggies are absolutely clueless about food and just want convenience. That's why the bakers are so surprised if you ask them not to slice the bread. As for knowing the different cuts, most people here don't know where to start. Oh, and don't even suggest eating liver or kidney to most of them; they'd rather that was splatted and splurged into some deep fried frozen extrusion where they aren'y confronted with what it is.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm off to a "culnair" festival with some friends tonight.

Every year all the local ( and some non local) restaurants set up shop in trailers in a local square and proffer their wares for way less than you'd pay in the restaurant.

Good way of working out who's crap and who's not.
                I like the sound of that!

Looking forward to seeing what our fave restaurant is doing this year, he always does posh play on summat ordinary. Last year it was lobster hot dog in a brioche bun and foie gras donuts.

mmmm Lekker!
                I like the sound of that too!
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I used to hide in terror when my mother said "pot roast" for Sunday lunch, she would dry roast it in a pan for hours, so instead of a lovely tender falling apart piece of beef, you got this bitter dry meat with a bitter gravy.

I normally cook it with 250ml red wine and 250ml beef stock for 3 hours on a very low heat, by that time the meat should be falling apart and all you have to do is thicken what's left of the stock for gravy.
                  I can't remember what I do with mine, since it's been a while. It goes into the slow cooker for quite some time, though
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Came here as Contractor (20+ years in the game), lured to permie by (ex S3 recruiter - if I'd have known this at the time I'd have told him to FRO) false promises of 'fast track' promotion to project board and £65K.
                    I'd have left 18 months ago but the missus was unwell so decided to stick around until she was well again. Hence the complete lack of interest ...
                    Going back to contracting now, at least I'll get paid for others incompetence.

Oh and slowly cooked Beef shin/Ox tail is probably the best tasting beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Yep, most cloggies are absolutely clueless about food and just want convenience. That's why the bakers are so surprised if you ask them not to slice the bread. As for knowing the different cuts, most people here don't know where to start. Oh, and don't even suggest eating liver or kidney to most of them; they'd rather that was splatted and splurged into some deep fried frozen extrusion where they aren'y confronted with what it is.
                      My cloggy neighbours think I'm strange because I cook. Our next door neighbour often peeks in the kitchen window to see what I'm cooking when she's parking her bike outside their house.

I've actually found somewhere that makes seasonal bitterballen, so depending on the time of year and what game is in season they'll vary the filling, they also make awesome garnarlenkroketten, with loads of garnarlen in it and homemade lemony mayo to go with it.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X