• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Scholium

The second edition of 1713 had an essay attached, titled General Scholium, which was to become one of Newton's most notable writings. Newton criticizes Descartes and Leibniz, and famously states Hypotheses non fingo "I feign no hypotheses", besides attacking the doctrine of Trinity.

* trans. Motte (1729)
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Spam (food)

Created by Hormel Foods Corporation
      Time created 1937
      Type of Food Processed meat
      Website The Official Spam Web Site
      Portal:Food
      Food Portal
      This article is about the canned meat product. For other uses, see Spam.

Spam luncheon meat is a canned precooked meat product made by the Hormel Foods Corporation. The labeled ingredients in the Classic variety of Spam are: chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite. It has gained a peculiar infamy as a mystery meat, along with something of a place in pop culture, and has even entered into folklore and urban legend.

Other varieties of Spam include Spam Less Sodium, Spam Garlic, Spam and Cheese, Spam with Bacon (Hormel bacon), Spam Spread, Spam Lite (containing pork and chicken), Spam Golden Honey Grail, Spam Hot and Spicy (with Tabasco sauce), Spam Hickory Smoked, and Spam Oven Roasted Turkey[1] - the latter is a halal food, meaning that it is allowed under Islamic law, and is especially popular in Muslim markets.

Spam is produced in (among other places) Austin, Minnesota, USA (also known as Spam Town USA). In 2002, the six billionth can of Spam was sold.[2]
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Name origin

Introduced on July 5, 1937, the name "Spam" was chosen in the 1930s when the product, whose original name was far less memorable (Hormel Spiced Ham), began to lose market share. The name was chosen from multiple entries in a naming contest. A Hormel official once stated that the original meaning of the name Spam was "Shoulder of Pork and hAM". According to writer Marguerite Patten in Spam – The Cookbook, the name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president. At one time, the official explanation may have been that the name was a syllabic abbreviation of "SPiced hAM", but on their official website, Hormel denies this and states that "SPAM is just that. SPAM." The fact that the originator was given a $100 prize for coming up with the name, however, still appears on the site's SPAM FAQs. [3]

Many jocular backronyms have been devised, such as "Something Posing As Meat."[4] "Special Purpose Army Meat" has been suggested as another apocryphal backronym referring to the product's WWII roots.

According to Hormel's trademark guidelines, Spam should be spelled with all capital letters and treated as an adjective, as in the phrase SPAM luncheon meat. As with many other trademarks, such as Xerox or Kleenex, people often refer to similar meat products as "spam". Regardless, in practice, "Spam" is generally spelled and used as a proper noun.

Comment

Nutritional Data

A 56 gram (approximately 2 ounce) serving of original SPAM provides 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of fat (23% US Daily Value) including 6 grams of saturated fat (28% US Daily Value), and over 170 calories. A serving contains nearly a third of the recommended daily intake of sodium (salt). SPAM provides very little in terms of vitamins and minerals (0% vitamin A, 1% vitamin C, 1% calcium, 3% iron). It has been listed as a food that is a poor choice for weight loss (or weight gain) and optimum health and as a food that "is high in saturated fat and sodium". [5]

Comment

International usage

As of 2003, Spam is sold in 41 countries worldwide. The largest consumers of Spam after the United States are stated as being the United Kingdom and South Korea.[citation needed]

Comment

United States and territories

In the United States, the residents of the state of Hawaiʻi and the territories of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) consume the most Spam per capita. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and the numbers at least equal this in the CNMI. Guam, Hawaiʻi, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu; Burger King now offers Spam on their breakfast menu as well.[6] One popular Spam dish in Hawaiʻi is Spam musubi, in which cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[7]

In Hawaiʻi, Spam is traditionally reheated (cooked), resulting in a different taste than Spam eaten by many Americans on the mainland, who may eat Spam cold.[8] Burger King, in Hawaiʻi, began serving Spam in 2007 on its menu to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[9]

Spam was introduced into these areas, in addition to other islands in the Pacific such as Okinawa and the Philippine Islands, during the U.S. military occupation in World War II. Since fresh meat was difficult to get to the soldiers on the front, World War II saw the largest use of Spam. GIs started eating Spam for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (Some soldiers referred to Spam as "ham that didn't pass its physical" and "meatloaf without basic training.")[10] Surpluses of Spam from the soldiers' supplies made their way into native diets. Consequently, Spam is a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific.[11]

In these locales, varieties of Spam unavailable in other markets are sold. These include Honey Spam, Spam with Bacon, and Hot and Spicy Spam.[11]

In the CNMI, lawyers from Hormel have threatened legal action against the local press for running articles decrying the ill-effects of high Spam consumption on the health of the local population.[1][2]

Comment

Europe

In the United Kingdom Spam was a popular addition to the menu of fish and chip shops, where slices are battered and deep-fried and are known as 'Spam fritters', However this tradition has faded out in recent decades. It gained popularity in the 1940s during World War II, during the Lend-Lease Act.

Comment

11110?

Comment

Comment

And the 11111th reply too...

Comment

Working...
                      X