• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confusion that is.

Comment

The teams with the most shots:
      1. Millwall (560)
      2. Preston North End (548)
      3. Stoke City (518)

The teams with the fewest shots:
      1. Blackpool (317)
      2. Oxford United (328)
      3. Notts County (402)

The teams with the most shots on target:
      1. Millwall (275)
      2. Preston North End (257)
      3. Wrexham (241)

The teams with the fewest shots on target:
      1. Blackpool (153)
      2. Chesterfield (174)
      3. Bournemouth (175)

The teams with the most passes:
      1. Preston North End (17,394)
      2. Cambridge United (15,926)
      3. Wrexham (15,647)

The teams with the most tackles:
      1. Oldham Athletic (1,037)
      2. Colchester United (1,026)
      3. Stoke City (1,025)

The team with the highest pass completion rate:
      1. Preston North End (65.56%)
      2. Wigan Athletic (65.34%)
      3. Bristol City (65.13%)

The team with the lowest pass completion rate:
      1. Millwall (53.48%)
      2. Wycombe Wanderers (54.31%)
      3. Bury (54.43%)

The team with the highest shooting accuracy:
      1. Gillingham (54.29%)
      2. Wrexham (51.28%)
      3. Oldham Athletic (50.11%)

The team with the lowest shooting accuracy:
      1. Chesterfield (42.44%)
      2. Bournemouth (42.48%)
      3. Scunthorpe United (42.99%)

The team with the highest crossing accuracy:
      1. Scunthorpe United (35.39%)
      2. Preston North End (35.34%)
      3. Cambridge United (34.77%)

The team with the lowest crossing accuracy:
      1. Wrexham (26.04%)
      2. Bury (28.60%)
      3. Luton Town (28.88%)

The team with the highest tackle success rates:
      1. Bristol City (54.40%)
      2. Gillingham (52.68%)
      3. Preston North End (52.62%)

The team with the lowest tackle success rates:
      1. Blackpool (43.73%)
      2. Bury (44.29%)
      3. Reading (44.90%)
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Venezuela Infant mortality rate

Venezuela > Demographics

Infant mortality rate: total: 22.52 deaths/1,000 live births
        male: 26.14 deaths/1,000 live births
        female: 18.72 deaths/1,000 live births (2007 est.)
        Year Infant mortality rate Rank Percent Change Date of Information
        2003 23.79 110 2003 est.
        2004 22.2 108 -6.68 % 2004 est.
        2005 22.2 108 0.00 % 2005 est.
        2006 21.54 108 -2.97 % 2006 est.
        2007 22.52 101 4.55 % 2007 est.

Definition: This entry gives the number of deaths of infants under one year old in a given year per 1,000 live births in the same year; included is the total death rate, and deaths by sex, male and female. This rate is often used as an indicator of the level of health in a country.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

100 to go...

Comment

hello
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Last edited by Swiss Tony; 28 June 2007, 12:15. Reason: wrong number
              "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Insect migration
                From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                (Redirected from Butterfly and moth migration)
                Jump to: navigation, search

Insect migration is the seasonal movement of insects, particularly those by species of dragonflies, beetles, butterflies and moths. The distance can vary from species to species, but in most cases these movements involve large numbers of individuals. In some cases the individuals that migrate in one direction may not return and the next generation may instead migrate in the opposite direction. This is a significant difference from bird migration. The most famous insect migration is that of the Monarch butterfly which migrates from southern Canada to wintering sites in central Mexico.

Comment

Definition

All insects move to some extent. The range of movement can vary from within a few centimeters for some sucking insects and wingless aphids to thousands of kilometres in the case of other insects such as locusts, butterflies and dragonflies. The definition of migration is therefore particularly difficult in the context of insects. A behaviour oriented definition proposed is

Migratory behaviour is persistent and straightened-out movement effected by the animal's own locomotory exertions or by its active embarkation on a vehicle. It depends upon some temporary inhibition of station-keeping responses but promotes their eventual disinhibition and recurrence.
                  —Kennedy, 1985[1]

This definition disqualifies movements made in the search of resources and which are terminated upon finding of the resource. Migration on the other hand involves longer distance movement and these movements are not affected by the availability of the resource items.

[edit] General patterns

Migrating butterflies fly within a boundary layer, with a specific upper limit above the ground. The air speeds in this region are typically lower than the flight speed of the insect. These 'boundary-layer' migrants include the larger day-flying insects, and their low-altitude flight is obviously easier to observe than that of most high-altitude windborne migrants. Taylor, L.R. (1974) Insect migration, flight periodicity and the boundary layer.

Many migratory species tend to have polymorphic forms, a migratory one and a resident phase. The migratory phases are marked by their well developed and long wings. Such polymorphism is well known in aphids and grasshoppers. In the migratory locusts, there are distinct long and short-winged forms.[2]

Migration being energetically costly has been studied in the context of life-history strategies. It has been suggested that adaptations for migration would be more valuable for insects that live in habitats where resource availability changes seasonally.[3] Others have suggested that species living in isolated islands of suitable habitats are more likely to evolve migratory strategies. The role of migration in gene flow has also been studied in many species.[4]

[edit] Orientation

Migration is usually marked by well defined destinations which need navigation and orientation. A flying insect needs to make corrections for crosswinds.[5] It has been demonstrated that many migrating insects sense windspeed and direction and make suitable corrections.[6] Day-flying insects primarily make use of the sun for orientation, however this requires that they compensate for the movement of the sun. Endogenous time-compensation mechanisms have been proposed and tested by releasing migrating butterflies that have been captured and kept in darkness to shift their internal clocks and observing changes in the directions chosen by them. Some species appear to make corrections while it has not been demonstrated in others.[7]

Most insects are capable of sensing polarized light and they are able to use the polarization of the sky when the sun is occluded by clouds.[8] The orientation mechanisms of nocturnal moths and other insects that migrate have not been well studied, however magnetic cues have been suggested in short distance fliers.[9]

Recent studies suggest that migratory butterflies may be sensitive to the earth's magnetic field on the basis of the presence of magnetite particles.[10] In an experiment on the monarch butterfly, it was shown that a magnet changed the direction of initial flight of migrating monarch butterflies.[11] However this result was not a strong demonstration since the directions of the experimental butterflies and the controls did not differ significantly in the direction of flight.[12]

[edit] Lepidoptera

Migration in the butterflies and moths are particularly well known. The Bogong moth is a native insect of Australia that is known to migrate to cooler climates. In southern India, mass migrations of many species are noted prior to the monsoons.[13] As many as 250 species of butterflies in India are migratory. These include members of the pieridae and nymphalidae.

Comment

cunnilingus

Comment

Chaos theory

A plot of the Lorenz attractor for values r = 28, σ = 10, b = 8/3

In mathematics and physics, chaos theory describes the behavior of certain nonlinear dynamical systems that under specific conditions exhibit dynamics that are sensitive to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect). As a result of this sensitivity, the behavior of chaotic systems appears to be random, because of an exponential growth of errors in the initial conditions. This happens even though these systems are deterministic in the sense that their future dynamics are well defined by their initial conditions, and there are no random elements involved. This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.

Chaotic behavior has been observed in the laboratory in a variety of systems including electrical circuits, lasers, oscillating chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and mechanical and magneto-mechanical devices. Observations of chaotic behaviour in nature include the dynamics of satellites in the solar system, the time evolution of the magnetic field of celestial bodies, population growth in ecology, the dynamics of the action potentials in neurons, and molecular vibrations. Everyday examples of chaotic systems include weather and climate.[1] There is some controversy over the existence of chaotic dynamics in the plate tectonics and in economics.[2][3][4]

Systems that exhibit mathematical chaos are deterministic and thus orderly in some sense; this technical use of the word chaos is at odds with common parlance, which suggests complete disorder. (See the article on mythological chaos for a discussion of the origin of the word in mythology, and other uses.) A related field of physics called quantum chaos theory studies non-deterministic systems that follow the laws of quantum mechanics.

As well as being orderly in the sense of being deterministic, chaotic systems usually have well defined statistics. For example, the Lorenz system pictured is chaotic, but has a clearly defined structure.

Comment

Working...
                      X