• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once lived in a place where a bailiff came to the door wanting somebody else (who was as far as I knew asleep upstairs, but I was his lodger so I wasn't going to rock the boat).

I explained that the person he was seeking wasn't home, but he got all aggressive on me and started accusing me of being that person... so I told him to wait, shut the door (you mustn't ever leave a door or window open when there's a bailiff around as they are allowed, under certain circumstances, to enter without a warrant if they're not actually breaking and entering) and got my passport. Having shown it to him, he then started swearing at me, claiming that I was, in fact, the other person and had a forged passport.

My patience ran out around this point so I directed him to leave and shut the door on him.

I then went online and discovered that a bailiff who uses abusive language can have his licence revoked

A few minutes later my landlord, who had heard it all, was apologising to me for the hassle, thanking me profusely for taking the flak, and explaining that he had already made an arrangement to deal with this particular problem, and the bailiff should never have been there in the first place - which turned out to be true.

When he called the bailiff company to point out that they shouldn't have been there, they agreed and apologised for their "clerical error" (does anybody employ clerks these days, apart from courts? ).

When he then added that I was considering making a complaint to the relevant authorities and having this guy's licence revoked for his aggressive and abusive language, they went into hyper-apology mode - the bloke himself came to the phone and apologised to me in person

We never heard from them again, but my online research that day taught me a lot about dealing with bailiffs... they turn up here occasionally, but it's always for somebody who moved out several years ago

They tend to be rather stupid people who rely on you not knowing the law to get their way, so knowing even the most basic smattering of the law - and, more importantly, the Code of Conduct to which they are legally required to adhere - can get them off the doorstep very rapidly.

Here endeth the first lesson.

There is no second lesson
    Last edited by NickFitz; 11 February 2008, 02:17.

Comment

Ooh, not long to a pali

Comment

All odd digits too... though not all prime

Comment

My Slashdot UID number is prime - and four digits, too

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            My Slashdot UID number is prime - and four digits, too
            This makes me übergeeky

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              This makes me übergeeky
              Though some of you might have guessed that already

Comment

Comment

Although my earliest posts on Slashdot were before registration was required (well, required if you didn't want to post as an Anonymous Coward, which was a sobriquet I wasn't anxious to express my views under) - I think they were lost in The Great Backup Tape Failure
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 11 February 2008, 02:51. Reason: Explaining aversion to /. AC status

Comment

In the early days it was running on a machine in Rob's university dorm bedroom.

Comment

I remember when it wasn't updated for a whole day...

Comment

Working...
                      X