• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn it. At Sainsburies yesterday brought the same Viz again. Thought it looked familiar but it said October on the front.
    Last edited by xoggoth; Yesterday, 10:15.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Afternoon all

Dry and sunny with lumps of fluff. A light breeze wafting about. Currently 16 with a high of 17 expected. Barometer steady at 1019 mBar.

Clothings have been laundered, and the airer put out in the garden to dry.

HWMBO and I are planning a visit to Morrisons as they have this week's tonic water offer.

Someone put non recyclables in my recycling bin

Comment

Lunch: a chunky fish finger bap (wholemeal) with red sauce

Comment

Tea, delivered fresh today from sunny Taff's Well near Cardiff, was Sunset Red Tonkotsu Ramen soup (or broth). Very nice indeed

Accompanied by some Trucking Hell

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was prequel A Quiet Place: Day One (2024). It's OK, but it breaks the cardinal rule of a prequel: it shouldn't contradict the original film.

In the first one, there are various indications that the knowledge that hearing is the primary sense of the invaders was something that wasn't immediately understood, and also that their invasion was relatively gradual - not over weeks or months, but certainly over days. I assert this on the grounds of the chap in the first film having loads of bits of information pinned to the wall in his cellar, including a newspaper front page with the headline "It's Sound!" This suggests that society cohered long enough for newspapers to be written, printed, and distributed, so the story of the invasion must have been long-running enough that the "It's" was sufficient explanation in the headline of what the story was about, and it must have previously been unclear what made people susceptible to attack.

SPOILER ALERTS: In this film, the fact that "It's sound" appears to have been recognised immediately by the people in New York, where this one is set. There's some vague indications that New York is just where it starts, which might suggest that word hasn't spread more widely straight away; but there's also a bit at the start showing what are presumably the aliens arriving by whatever means it may be, and if they're coming in at those angles and altitudes, they're going to be landing all across the northeastern USA and probably in Canada too. Fair enough, that could just be for effect in this film, but the fact remains that the original film suggested that the sound aspect was only understood relatively slowly, as might be the case if the invasion was scattered and attacks sporadic, but this film shows it being understood immediately as a result of the attacks being concentrated. So overall, I'm going to say it breaks the rule and thus gets marked down. Other than that, it's an aliens-attack-New-York-City film which means it has to meet the very high bar set by Cloverfield, and I don't think it does. But it's OK, I suppose

To follow, a rewatch of Babylon (2022) which I think is good, even if it didn't do as well as expected at the box office

And then a further episode of S5 of The Wire

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

This morning woke to the strains of Queen's "39" in my head. Which made a change. Turned on R4 to get it out of there, 06:47 being a bit early for a saturday.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky in parts.

Chilly side of chilly in here at 15.5 deg, 16 deg in the kitchen, 13.5 in the leanto.

1009 mBar, 29.796 in Hg, 756.8 Torr, 14.634 psi, (down from 1013 last night), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 19th of November 2019 NF was watching The Wire (S2 this time) and it was very cold, LM being delayed on the train by repairs to the track.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 08:41.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Another sunny day, with no clouds but a bit of high haze. It's up to 14°C and aiming for 16°, but the barometers are down at 1003/1011mB

Comment

Afternoon all

Dry and sunny with lumps of fluff. A light breeze. Currently 17 degrees and it might get up to 18. Barometer down to 1013 mBar.

The bed has been stripped and left airing. It's nice enough out that it's worth putting the linen out in the garden on the airer. I doubt it'll dry today though.

No farmers' market visit today.

Interview date and time set for next week. Odd going for a permanent job but, if I get it, it'll actually offer more opportunity should the market pick up again.

Comment

Went to sister's do in the woods and, apart from her and my niece, didn't know anyone there, Still, nice chat with a fellow old fart. On way back held up three times by **** tractors. Shouldn't be allowed on roads during rush hour.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lunch earlier was a bacon bap (white). And tea was brought to me from Nando's by a man on a bicycle

Comment

Working...
                      X