• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various bits of tidying and sorting things out are being accomplished one step at a time here. In particular, after I'd knocked off, I finally got around to disassembling the Billy bookcase height extension units, for which the ceiling here isn't high enough. These had been put on the table towards the back of the living room when I was moving in and have been there ever since, inevitably getting other stuff left on top of them. They have now been reduced to their component parts and stacked neatly in a far corner of the fitted wardrobe (which is huge)

Next step is to reassemble the bookcase I used to use for DVDs. I already assembled this once but the panel pins that hold the back on all bent and so on and I took it apart again in frustration. Since then, its components have been leaning on the wall in the corner behind the table that bore the height extension units. I realised a while back that there was really no point getting rid of it for the sake of a few panel pins, so I went and bought a box of them from the hardware shop round the corner

Comment

Tea has been a rack of ribs in a smoky BBQ glaze with loads of fries

Accompanied by the end of the Trucking Hell I started watching last week, and the start of the next

Comment

Evening all, greetings from Lisbon

This morning was all get up, get to the airport. Then the Concorde Room, then flying, then unpacking then out.

This morning was dull and damp. On landing it was sunny. Light rain on our walk from bar 1 to bar 2. A balmy 14 degrees but it was knocking on 20 earlier in the week.

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture premiere was Watchmen (2009) but not just the one in the pictures in 2009 but the Ultimate Cut, which among other things takes an associated minted short and weaves it onto the main feature, resulting in a runtime of three-and-a-half hours

It's pretty good, and has an excellent soundtrack. But there is rather a lot of it…

I don't know if it's the original source, though I suspect it may be, of the excellent line "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."

And then enough of The Wire to get me into S2 and the docks. Relatives of mine worked on the Merseyside docks as checkers (which is what Frank Sobotka and his fellow union members are) back in the day, but I think that was before everything became containerised; more like it was in that episode of Boys from the Black Stuff with the blokes plundering crates in the hold

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
            The dog didn’t realise it was the weekend, so I’m awake. We’ve been out in the garden and there’s a lot of frost. Just what you don’t want when the plum trees are in full blossom
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning

Saturday.

Grey.

Dry.

Cold in here at 12.1 deg, 11 deg in the kitchen, 8 deg in the leanto.

992 mBar, 29.29 in Hg, 744.1 Torr, 14.38774 psi, (up from 989 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 64% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 1st of September 2019 NF finished his John Wyndham book of short stories "Consider Her Ways and Others", I watched "Men with Brooms" which turned out to be about curling, whereas LM watched some A&E thing about a kid with a bleed on the brain.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the grey gloom following the sunshine. It started to rain shortly after I returned home so I had timed that right.

Lunch: baked spud etc.

Entertainment: The News Quiz. Cameo by Miles Jupp.

NZ Highway Cops. Chap doing 146 in a 100 limit: instant 28 day ban. He was a tourist with little English so "marriage dress" didn't translate well. Caravan thieves busted.

Freecell score: 75%, running average: 86%.

A minute of Monkey Life about a male marmoset the self appointed protectors of the furry were digging up, while his mate was being "surrendered". I have little time for the RSPCA.

Freecell score in the terminal ennui of the afternoon: 100%, running average: 86%.

The battery is flat in the Lidl(tm) RH thingie. . Or it's died.

Tea: spag with the first portion of the new batch of bol: quite nice.

Entertainment: some bollox on R4 with Nick Robinson: by some mistake it was actually inneresting. Though I can't stand the man. Mariana Mazzucato.

Dixon of Dock Green. S9 E11 "A home of One's Own (1962)". Elderly lady being evicted from her home of 50 years. Reminds me of my Great Aunt who was evicted from the family home she'd lived in for more than 70 years so "they" could build the magistrates court. The house was there for centuries. The court was there for 45.

Maigret. S4 E7 "The taste of Power (1963)"

The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre "Partners in crime (1960)".

Some bollox on Blaze. Mission Unexplained.

Eurocustoms: bits of the Spanish customs with Italian, German and Belgian customs. Doesn't help that the Spanish customs stuff has been shown on the Spanish customs thing.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 24 February 2024, 23:50.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny and rather Simpsonesque out today; pigeons, magpies, squirrels, and blackbirds are all making the most of it on the big lawn. Currently 7°C and maybe getting to 8° in a bit, while the barometers are back up a bit at 983/991mB

Comment

Lovely full moon rising over the block opposite

Lunch, by the way, was corned beef butties and crisps, again

Comment

What could be more delightful than a moonlit stroll? A moonlit stroll to the kebab shop, of course! So tea has been kebab and chips

Comment

Today's viewing was the usual range of wildlife stuff including Monkey Life

And once that was over, I finished reading The Darkroom

Early night now as I'm popping south tomorrow to collect some stuff from my parents' house

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X