• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's viewing was just another episode of the local cop thing. Not very interesting this time; somebody getting clouted near the Clock Tower on a Saturday night isn't exactly an unusual occurrence

And then I started reading Eternity by Greg Bear, the sequel to Eon

Friday tomorrow!

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Gloomy grey start; though it isn't raining right now, it clearly has been, and is expected to again this morning. It turned very mild overnight though, being 8°C currently and expected to reach 11° by noon. The barometers are all the way down at 962/970mB

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Misty.

Grey.

Sunless.

Wet.

Chilly in here at 13.2 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen & leanto.

974 mBar, 28.7622 in Hg, 730.56 Torr, 14.12 psi (unchanged), 75% RH (GDR hair), 69% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 27th of August 2019 I was reading "The Accidental American" and had just encountered the part describing the visit of the ex head CIA to Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde to interrogate my colleagues regarding an ex student "why do you teach them about timers?". .

Freecell score: 89%, running average: 86%.

Entertainment: Oz Highway Patrol: a biker died in this one after trying to pass between two trucks, he never got to see his starring role flat on his back on the road.

Lunch: scrambled egg etc.

Walk (abbreviated) walked during which it drizzled on me.

Entertainment: Oz customs thing: usual Chinese "food" and "medicine", all undeclared, with some Indian (sub continent rather than Native American) food thrown in for good measure: not declared because "it wasn't spicy" . American woman married to someone I assume to be Australian told to tell some confusing story by an immigration lawyer who sounds like he should be struck off. They let her in eventually but it was a close run thing.

Tea: soup etc.

Entertainment: PM. <click>

Wheeler Dealers MGA <click>

The News Quiz from Belfast.

Freecell score: 87%, running average: 86%. Playing like a div.

Coastal Devon & Cornwall with M. Portillo: he's on the Lizard, m'dear. (I don't think anyone still says that these days).

Blaze: Cracking the Code: The Zodiac Killer.

Quest: Spanish Border Control: more smuggled cigarettes at a guess with the odd engine & smuggled car parts thrown in. No engines: fake clothing etc. leading to a sentence between 6 months & 3 years.

Blaze: History's greatest Mysteries. The Amityville Horror. Spooky, man.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 February 2024, 18:44.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
          Slept in and didn't wake until the alarm went off. MMtSH didn't wake either.
          So, a hurried walk has been had, which started in light drizzle and a gusty breeze, but then the precipitation stopped.

TFIF, etc
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Damp, windy, cloudy with occasional glimpses of the sky. Slight showers forecast this morning for a short period and then due to return mid-afternoon. Currently 11 degrees ('feels like' 8) with a high of 12 expected. Barometer very much down, to 980 mBar.

Smart meters are being fitted today. I have kindly moved my car off the drive so the installer has somewhere to park.

Comment

Just as I was about to complain that there's 18 mins left of the booked arrival time, the chap phones and says he's going to be 5-10 minutes.

Comment

Lunch: leftover pork cutlet with apple sauce in a wholemeal bap

And before that I submitted my timesheet immediately upon reaching the requisite three hours and forty-five minutes plus one second, so I don't forget

And before that, I phoned the garage to get the Corolla's MOT lined up. It also needs a service as it hasn't had one since either 2020 or 2021, though to be fair it didn't really go very far from the start of lockdown until this past ten or eleven months. And the rear windscreen wiper still hasn't moved since grinding to a halt mid-wipe some time last summer. And the aircon hasn't cooled any air at all for several years. And there's the dent in the wing from whoever it was that broke the indicator that I repaired myself. So all in all, a fair bit needs doing. They must be busy as the earliest date they could offer me was a week next Monday

Comment

Electricity meter has now been done. It was a fiddly job but the lad persevered. Turns out they're paid for each job they complete so he doesn't like giving up.

He has to come back to do the gas meter as the parts he had wouldn't work with the way things are set up. So that will arrive some time next week and I'll receive a call to book him in again.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Electricity meter has now been done. It was a fiddly job but the lad persevered. Turns out they're paid for each job they complete so he doesn't like giving up.

He has to come back to do the gas meter as the parts he had wouldn't work with the way things are set up. So that will arrive some time next week and I'll receive a call to book him in again.
                    My place already had a smart electricity meter when I moved in, fitted earlier in the year. When I phoned the supplier to put my name on the bills (which for some reason I couldn't do online) they wanted me to have a smart gas one too so I said fine, wondering why they hadn't been done at the same time.

Then I realised - the electric one does all the communication back to base and the gas one talks to that, but my gas one is in the kitchen under the sink, and the electric one is in the other half of the block on the ground floor by the storerooms, which is too far away for the gas one to talk to it!

Comment

Tea: ribeye steak with chips, fried onions and beans

Accompanied by an S7 episode of Trucking Hell though I'm still way behind - S8E2 was added today!

Comment

Working...
                      X