• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

It looks likely to be a sunny start once the heavenly orb gets high enough, with some horizontal strips of cloud for texture. A little cooler perhaps, being 6°C now with an expected high of 8°, though only for a little while around lunch when some showers will probably show up too. The barometers are trivially higher at 991/999mB. It's supposedly still a bit breezy, but nowhere near what it has been

The lurgy has failed to improve itself overnight, but the Covid tests are still coming back negative

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

You may laugh but Holograms may be the way we end up understanding our Universe.. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-anniversary1/
      Well, the guy who wrote the book, Itzhak Bentov, did also invent the steerable cardiac catheter and a bunch of other useful stuff, so maybe I shouldn't dismiss it so hastily

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Wet.

Dry.

Wet.

Grey.

Blue skies in parts.

Sunless.

Sunny.

Chilly side of not so chilly in here at 13.2 deg, 13 deg in kitchen & leanto, 10.1 deg in the salting house.

1003 mBar, 29.618 in Hg, 752.311 Torr, 14.547 psi, (up from 1002 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 71% (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 10th of August 2019 it was warm, I was feeling weirder than usual, there was much discussion of Ye Wrecked House of yore, and NF exercised extreme self control to avoid purchasing a Helix geometry set at the Sainsburys checkout.

Shopping trips to Morrisons & Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away. 4 out 34 back.

Lunch: there was lunch though it was more like breakfast since I didn't have breakfast before going out.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the grey gloom, sunshine, and rain.

Freecell score: 94%, running average: 86% (85.92%).

Tea: there was tea.

Freecell score: 95%, running average: 86%.

Entertainment: Ghosts Xmas ep from 2021 on BBC NI.

Last half hour of "Hidden Figures (2016)". God speed, John Glenn etc.

Minute by Minute: Emergency: 2018 Melbourne terrorist attack. Another IS inspired scumbag gone to meet his maker. Scumbag was offed with a single round of 40 S&W from a Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic pistol, which, having watched the inevitable vids, seems like remarkable restraint on the part of the officer. I'd have given him three.

Spanish Customs thing. Looks like llama foetuses and coca leaves are A Thing in Spanish Customs checks. Makes a change from frog fat. Consignment of logs from Ecuador with 800kg of coke concealed. Car with 1100 or so packets of cigarettes, just low enough to make it a customs offence rather than a criminal offence. Romanian woman with a fine selection of nicked iPhones.

First 20 minutes of "A Few Dollars More (1965)" with that Clinton Eastwood chap, and that Lee van Cleef chap.

Bit of "American Sniper (2014)" directed by said Clinton Eastwood.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 December 2023, 10:17.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Lunch: Heinz chicken soup with white toast

The lurgy is being very unpleasant today. I'm seriously considering going back to bed

Comment

Tea has been lamb shank in red wine and redcurrant sauce with chips. Nice enough, though I'm not in the best state to appreciate it

The shank has been in the freezer for ages, so once again it was a question of having something that involved minimal effort. I wasn't sure I'd manage to eat because I'm feeling so rough, but feed a cold and starve a fever, and in fact it went down very nicely

I suspect I'll be going for a very early night tonight though

Comment

Tonight's only telly has been 24 Hours in Police Custody: The Night Prowler, about a rapist and voyeur who was largely convicted on the basis of the videos he had on his own phone of him doing crimes. Tip: don't video yourself doing crimes, unless you fancy a twelve-year stretch

Better still: don't do any crimes in the first place

Another noteworthy feature of this one was that the lead detective, Shona, used to be in roads policing and appeared frequently in Traffic Cops and Motorway Cops back when they were on the BBC and being filmed with Bedfordshire police

And after that, I put myself to bed and read a chunk more of Erotic Vagrancy, getting as far as the end of the section devoted solely to Elizabeth Taylor and the start of that devoted to Richard Burton. Much of the book, of course, will be about the indescribable chaos of their various lives together, but each of them seems to have managed plenty of it when they were apart

Early night now, as I really do feel quite dreadful

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Saturday.

Grey.

Dark.

Dank.

Dry currently.

Sunless.

Chilly in here at 12.8 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 12 deg in the leanto.

999.5 mBar, 29.515 in Hg, 749.68665 Torr, 14.496 psi, (down from 1007 last night), 77% RH (GDR hair), 70% RH (Lidl electric).

Woke at 05:50 after a dream of giving my notice in at some inderminate tuliphole or other, read a chapter of the book, then returned to the land of nod.

Meanwhile on the 10th of August 2019 discussion continued about the Wrecked House.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the grey gloom & semigale.

Lunch: beans on toast etc.

Freecell score: 94%, runniing average: 86%.

Had I known that it would be dry all morning and until now I'd have washed the shirts & the smalls. However since I didn't I didn't, the washing basket approaching overflowing & the supply of undergarments is approaching critical.

Allegedly it is to be fine on New Year's Day so I'll do the washing then then.

In the intervening 4 hours or so since I last looked, it's now not dry on Monday.

Book.

Freecell score: 93%, running average: 86%.

Tea: spag bol etc.

Entertainment: PM. Sliced Bread. News.

Book.

Some UFO bollox on Blaze.

Book.

Maigret S3 E12 "The Trap (1962)".

Freecell score: 88%, running average: 86%.

Bits of "The Hitman's Bodyguard".

Bits of "Last Action Hero (1993)". I like that film. Apparently it was a bit too complex for septic audiences back in the day.
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 December 2023, 10:18.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day and occasional drizzle, possibly as a rather heavy-handed metaphor for the year drawing to a close, and possibly just because that's the weather today. Currently 8°C and heading for 10°, while the barometers are about the same at 991/998mB

The lurgy was bad last night. I was quite feverish for a couple of hours or more after going to bed, but eventually settled down and had a fairly solid sleep for the last few hours before waking. The sore throat isn't quite as bad today, though still bad, while the bunged-up sinuses are considerably more bunged up; so at least it offers a bit of variety. Covid test still negative

Comment

Afternoon all

Dull, damp. Light breeze. Currently 11 degrees with a high of 12 expected. Rain forecast this evening. Barometer hasn't moved since Friday and remains at 1007 mBar.

Yesterday I didn't get out of bed until about 2pm, after a mix of dozing and reading. I then moved to the sofa where I dozed with the telly on in the background. Ended up going back to bed after 1am. So that's my body clock totally messed up.

Comment

Working...
                      X