• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My Dad's fallen downstairs. Luckily, my brother and his wife had gone down to visit him and arrived not long after, so at least they can look after him during the interminable wait for an ambulance

He was probably trying to avoid the stairlift he and my Mum spent a fortune having installed the other year so they wouldn't fall downstairs

He's complaining of pain in his left hip, so it's possible he's broken it, having broken the right one the other year. Just have to wait and see. It's his 92nd birthday tomorrow too
    for your Dad

and with the hope that he's not in A&E for his birthday

Comment

Yea olde jalopy has been serviced. I asked for a full service but they opted to not change the spark plugs on account that it's quite labour intensive on my car and they really only need doing every 6 years or after a certain mileage. The chap said to check my service history and if it's been a while then they'll happily do that in the New Year for me.

I'm liking this garage a lot. They seem to be doing things the sensible way.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

for your Dad

and with the hope that he's not in A&E for his birthday
        Cheers

Latest news is that despite, in his own words, tumbling all the way downstairs, he hasn't broken any limbs, ribs, his pelvis, and so on. He has, however, broken a couple of bones in his neck

So a neurologist is awaited, but it's unlikely they'll operate at his age and he'll probably have to wear one of those collars for a while

He'll be kept in overnight but that's mainly because they want to check he can walk OK in the morning, despite bruised and painful hips and so on. They seem to think he can go home tomorrow if he can get around, so it sounds like the neck injuries may not be too severe. Just have to wait and see now.

Comment

Tonight's only viewing has been a new episode of Traffic Cops

Other than that, I've read the first few chapters of The London Cage by Helen Fry, about the secret WWII interrogation centre in Kensington Palace Gardens

Early night now, with the luxury of waking up naturally tomorrow rather than because an alarm is going off at me

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Woken unnaturally after all, but by a phone call rather than an alarm. It seems my Dad's condition is deteriorating rapidly and the doctors fear he may not last the day, so I have to head down south to the hospital ASAP

There seems to have been a bit of rain overnight but it's just cloudy now, and it's less warm than it has been at 3°C, maybe rising to 8° later. The barometers are well up though at 1006/1014mB

Comment

Morning denizens

Woken unnaturally after all, but by a phone call rather than an alarm. It seems my Dad's condition is deteriorating rapidly and the doctors fear he may not last the day, so I have to head down south to the hospital ASAP

Morning.

Thursday.

Dark.

Dank.

Dreary.

Misty.

Sunless.

Cold side of chilly at 12 deg in here, 11 deg in the kitchen, 9.5 deg in the leanto.

1016 mBar, 30 in Hg, 762.1 Torr, 14.74 psi, (up from 1015 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 67% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 5th of August 2019 M$ was busy spaffing LM's assorted computers, it was warmish and greyish and dampish around here, while NF's weather prognosticator had changed its opinion from rainy to not rainy, and WTFH was following form on the Fastnet.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the damp with wan sunshine.

Lunch: baked spud with the final tin of Heinz(tm) Five beans etc.

Entertainment: ZipWorld. <click>

TWATO.

The Tea thing at 13:45.

Freecell score: 93%, running average: 86% (85.9%).

House roughly vacced with the broken upright vac: it still picks up very well despite the lack of the rotating brush thing.

Sat down to watch Ancient Aliens & happened. .

Tea: first sampling of the new batch of chilli con carne: nothing to write home about. .

Entertainment: PM <click>

Wheeler Dealers S9 E9 Jaguar Mk2 3.8.

Crypto Decoded: From Bitcoin to NFTs.

The secret genius of modern life: The lift. happened during that too.

Since Trucking Hell finished last week there was Nothing To Watch: some dumb cage fighting thing on a movie channel that was too tedious to bother with.

Read book.

Now watching UFO bollox on Blaze with Craig Charles: UFOs over Ireland.

Thing about Spielberg on Sky Arts.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 December 2023, 18:51.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Ah crap

Hopefully he'll be like my gran - we had multiple "get here ASAP" alerts in her final year and she bounced back every time (except the last time, of course). I think she just liked the attention

Comment

Morning all

Overcast and the sun is trying its best to break through. Currently 4 degreed with a high of 8 expected. Mid afternoon shower forecast. Barometer has zoooooomed up to 1021 mBar.

Tired this morning. Rubbish sleep. Grumpy.

Comment

In the hospital. My Dad opened his eyes a bit when I greeted him, and he just adjusted his oxygen mask, but he’s not said anything and is clearly very rough

Comment

Home again. My Dad seemed to improve a little during the afternoon. When I left, he'd just started generally showing a greater degree of alertness, and when I said goodbye and that I'd see him tomorrow, he acknowledged it and said "OK" which was more than he could have managed an hour before

I gather that when I got there this morning, he was already much better than he had been in the early hours, when the doctor was saying that he'd probably die during the day. The nurse who kept popping by to check his oxygen and blood pressure and so on reckoned he was definitely improving. But I think there's a way to go before he can go home

Coming back, I made a detour via the VAT fraud chip shop, so tea has been fish & chips

Comment

Working...
                      X