• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just opened up a rabbit warren for hector to go down, if they aren't already in it.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sainsbury's has been successfully gone to, including a visit to the petrol station bit

Lack of masks on everybody else as usual

But the Christmas Viz is out

Lunch, once it's heated up in the "air fryer" (aka convector oven), will be a Pukka steak slice

I must pop over to Iceland some time to get some frozen Greggs supplies. Which reminds me that I went past the old place, where the chestnut tree still has a few leaves here and there but is generally well along with moulting for the season

Comment

Darn it. Heading off to lead creative writing group this morning and car wouldn't start. Fortunately a nice bloke came and picked me up. Don't know when I can get it fixed, local garage can't send anyone until Monday, hate the idea of being stuck at home.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

16:30 got a text message to say that they hadn't told her when her surgery would be.
          17:15 she was out of surgery and could see well enough in one eye to send me a text message

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            16:30 got a text message to say that they hadn't told her when her surgery would be.
            17:15 she was out of surgery and could see well enough in one eye to send me a text message

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Comment

Tea has been a roast duck leg with orange and maple source, and chips

The duck was yellow-stickered at Sainsbury's, so I thought I'd give it a try. Very nice; I might have that again, depending on what the real price is

And it was accompanied by a bit of Trucking Hell in which the Northumbrian lot go about pulling a ferry out of a reservoir

Comment

I noticed at lunchtime that I hadn't received any emails on my main personal domain since about one this morning. Going to the hosting provider's site to see if there was an outage, I discovered that my mailbox was full

Years ago, I set up my Mac mail client to only delete downloaded messages from the server after one week. This was because hotel wifi is often rubbish and I wanted to be sure I had local copies of everything before it was removed. It turns out this had stopped working in April 2018, meaning mail had been accumulating since then; 5GB of it

This also explains why that mail account has been so slow. Because of the way POP3 works, the mail client has to download the IDs of all the messages on the server, compare that list with the ones it already has, and then request the full message for the ones it doesn't. So there's been a list of, I assume, many thousands of email IDs being downloaded and checked every time one of my computers or devices has checked for new mail

There's a "Delete now" button in the Mail app's settings, so I used that and it got rid of them all. I just need to check again in five years or so and see if it's still working

Comment

She’s got a sore head tonight. I think they rushed her through a bit, but we know that tomorrow the patch will come off and things will be better.
                    The advice would be:
                    1. Go private, it’s not that expensive
                    2. Don’t go for the full varifocals, go for the intermediates - yes, you’ll need to wear reading glasses, but you’ll cope better than the varifocals..
                    3. Do it sooner rather than later.
                    4. Don’t be too shocked by the improvement.
                    5. For partners of those who have it done - support, ask them to spot things, and listen to them describe colours and scenes you might have seen, but they’ve never noticed before.

Comment

Not one but two major motion picture premieres tonight! First up: Pacific Rim (2013), a sci-fi thing in which giant things-like-robots-but-controlled-by-humans-inside-them battle giant monsters-from-the-ocean-deeps-but-actually-from-another-dimension-or-something-like-that. I suspect this is based on a computer game but, as with the Resident Evil ones, it isn't actually that bad as these things go. I'll probably never bother watching it again, but it didn't feel like a complete waste of time

And then from the ridiculous to the sublime with Rain Man (1988) in which Tom Cruise discovers he has an autistic brother who looks very like Dustin Hoffman, and learns how not to be such a self-centred arsehole as a result. It's one of those that everybody else saw years ago but I somehow hadn't, and it's excellent

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X