• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

You're probably right! It's a common trope that women will seek to be the best match possible for a role whereas men tend wing it far more.
    "Gizzajob. I can do that! Go on, gizzit!"

Tea has been roast shoulder of lamb with the usual trimmings

Well, half shoulder, as they still haven't started offering the whole ones in Sainsbury's. I should go round to the fancy butcher instead

Comment

Finished work late.

There has been much rain this evening. I am pleased brought my chilli plants inside earlier today as it's turning a bit cold out for them to finish their fruiting and ripening activities.

Ents has been S3E1 of Uncanny on BBC sounds. Apparently BBC2 have commissioned a TV programme of this nonsense which I will, of course, be watching. Other ents has been The Repair Shop and tat on YouTube.

Comment

The opal hunters were getting off to a good start in their new season, including a couple of them who announced their season target of AUS$100K at the start, and by the end of the week had found, among other bits, a gem estimated to be worth AUS$50K by itself

And then E2 of the Nazi-hunting thing on iPlayer, mainly about Klaus Barbie and Adolf Eichmann.

Early night now as I suspect it'll be a busy day tomorrow. I'm not convinced we'll get this thing done by the end of next week TBH

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Now the sun has risen above the bank of low cloud on the eastern horizon, it's a quite sunny start. Getting chilly as we approach the equinox though, being 10°C with a high of 17° later. The barometers are down a whisker at 983/991mB

Comment

Given a discussion yesterday - time to get my CV circulating - need rush to leave but the next bit of work ain't going to be enjoyable and I'm not enjoying the current work so seems a good time to really see what the market is like...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

^^^ Not quite sure why it's called "Rise of the Nazis" since it takes place after Downfall. .

Morning.

Thursday.

Torrential rain earlier.

Wet.

Wanly sunny.

Cool in here at 18.3 deg, 19.5 deg in the kitchen, 17.5 deg in the leanto.

990.5 mBar, 29.249 in Hg, 742.9 Torr, 14.366 psi, (unchanged), 77% RH (GDR hair), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 13th of July 2019 that power supply I was "fixing" remained unfixed whilst Brillo filled the remainder of the page.

Freecell score in the intermittent deluge: 100%, running average: 86% (85.68%).

Lunch: baked potato etc. Ran out of bread so marmalade on a toasted crust.

Entertainment: some nonsense about uwave ovens on R4. TWATO.

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away: had to buy Hovis thick slice FFS since there was none of the others, then to Boots to stock up on vits, moisturiser, and some pad things to go in the shoes.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice etc.

Entertainment: PM.

JoP. JoP.

Classic Movies: the story of The Graduate.

Skin A&E.

Wheeler Dealers S17 Part II E3 Vauxhall Astra GTE Mk I. B: £7k, T: £11k6, S: £20k5.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 September 2023, 21:57.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Here comes the rain.

After days of reading on another forum about people in my locality complaining about traffic chaos a few miles away, just down the road after Thames (f*$%ing) Water had made a hole causing a leak, the local gas company are now digging up a junction.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Afternoon all

This morning had promise, being sunny and all, but now it's come over overcast with spits of rain. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 18 expected. Rain off and on but not as much as yesterday. Barometer down to 998 mBar.

Busy busy at the coal face. Had a frank chat with one of the contract devs over the way the client is heading and neither of us is inclined to stick around when our contracts end. They're pretty bored as all the juicy development work got canned because the CTO (CIO? I dunno which, and don't care either) had some bright idea that no-one wants to implement.

Comment

Well, that's been quite a hectic day. Can't even remember what assorted things I had to deal with this morning, then there was more assorted stuff in the afternoon, and in the midst of it all I managed to get some work done. So, after I should have already clocked off, I was able to send an email to a departmental subdomain that we've had configured, and see its contents pop up on a third party platform (test environment thereof) a second or two later. In that second or two it had passed through Amazon Simple Email Service, been stored in an S3 bucket, been pulled out of there by a Lambda function I'd written, been parsed from the raw email into the appropriate structure for posting to a service we've stood up, and from there it was posted to the third party API. It should have also been posted to a second API, but it wasn't and I haven't got access to the Sentry logs for that service because I forgot to ask for it, so I decided that was enough for one day and called it quits

I'm supposed to do a demo of it successfully getting through to the second API tomorrow afternoon, but I daresay I'll manage to sort it out, probably about three minutes before the demo is due to start

Lunch was a pork and apple sauce cob, so the day hasn't been entirely wasted

It got very grey and even rained a bit, but now some gaps are appearing in the cloud. It's going to get down to 8°C tonight; if it carries on that way, I might have to switch to the thicker duvet

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      ^^^ Not quite sure why it's called "Rise of the Nazis" since it takes place after Downfall. .
                      I thought that too

It started out OK because that's what it was about. But it's become a kind of blanket name for a set of sub-series, also covering the downfall and the aftermath, and I suppose it was too late to change the name. And The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is already taken by William L. Shirer's book

Comment

Working...
                      X