• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If they contact you again saying you owe them money remind them of the case of Ferguson v British Gas Trading Ltd [2009] EWCA Civ 46

(Yeah I googled the last bit.)
    Cheers, will do

Comment

Tea has been pork shoulder steaks with chips and beans

The rain seems to have moved on now

Comment

Just watched "Why British Cities Make No Sense"

Another great episode by Mapmen
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In the absence of opal hunters, teatime viewing was an episode of Police Interceptors

And then Secrets of the London Underground was heavily focused on Acton, mainly the Acton Works where the trains are serviced and repaired

Finally, an episode of Murder Case on iPlayer

Better get to sleep now as it's back to work tomorrow

Oh, and my new mattress is arriving between half nine and half eleven

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Fairly sunny start out, clouding over more in a bit then reverting to sunny later. Mild though: currently 11°C, with a predicted high of 18°. The barometers are down a bit at 996/1004mB

New mattress is still expected later, so I need to remove the bedclothes and get the old one ready for removal. It's served me well; shame the sagging of the old bed frame caused it to become saggy in its turn

Comment

Morning all

Started off overcast but has cleared up considerably since with more blue sky becoming evident as the morning progresses.Currently 15 degrees with a high of 19 expected. No rain forecast. Barometer down to 1010 mBar.

My attempts to grow a shrub from a small cutting taken from my Mum's garden are going well. I have two of three twigs looking quite healthy and the third isn't dead yet. I'll end up with a couple of these should the cuttings survive.
              Last edited by ladymuck; 30 August 2023, 09:18. Reason: found a better link

Comment

A shrubbery?

Morning.

Wednesday.

Dry.

Sunny earlier, wanly sunny now.

Blue sky earlier, blue in patches now.

Slight breeze.

Cool in here at 18.7 deg, 19.5 deg in the kitchen, 18 deg in the leanto, 14.9 deg in the saltinghouse.

1006 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi, (down from 1006.5 last night), 75% RH (GDR hair), 74% RH (Lidl electric).

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM.

Shirts in the WM.

Shirts out of the WM & pegged out on the line along with the smalls.

Cottons in the WM.

Meanwhile on the 5th of July 2019 (thank feck the 4th is over) Diver was cleaning the roof of his camper at an antisocial time of day while I was off to sunny Swansea to celebrate the birthday of the brave little idle mofo next door. I suspect that's the last time it happened. I didn't go to this year's which took place in Cardiff. Scruff was on the bench, giving it a polish.

Cottons out of the WM & pegged out on the line.

Lunch: scrambled egg & poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower & pumpkin seed toast (non crust coz I forgot to get it out of the freezer), bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of not so toasted toast, red pippy corner yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y fretting about The Digital Switchover & how it's afflicting those with Lifelines, pendants, and Big Button Phones. Oddly enough I think we're well on the way to "The Second Sleep" singularity.

Shirts in off the line along with suitably dry cottons & duly iRoned, now airing upstairs.

The Infinite Monkey Cage: General Relativity Part 2 (rest of).

The Infinite Monkey Cage Xmas Special 2015: mostly about Doctor Who.

Some minor potching in the garage has led to the extraction of boxes of RadCom (the RSGB magazine) ready for dispatch to paper recycling.

I found some Radio Constructor magazines too which I'd forgotten were down there.

When I start throwing out Wireless World mags there's an indicator things are Getting Serious.

Numerous pages extracted from aforementioned RadComs to be consigned to a box file where they'll reside unread until someone throws them away.

There's two boxes of RadComs so I'll be a while yet. Found the issue with the very last Technical Topics by Pat Hawker.

The remaining cottons in off the line with the two pillow cases duly meeting the iRon before airing upstairs.

Tea: soup & rice thing, some apricot halves, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM which went <click> as & when the presenter irritated me sufficiently.

Joy of Painting. particularly strong. Very red painting. With saguaro cactus.

Joy of Painting. . Bobless. So ignored.

Ghosts US. Not the Xmas ep unless there's a part III.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 August 2023, 17:24.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bright and crisp with the promise of some warmth to come later in the day.

One feels that the seasons are on the turn. I quite like a cool, dry Autumn, so fingers crossed.

I found "The Six Million dollar Man" on a channel called "Legend" last night. I'm in two minds as to whether to dive in as, sometimes, the past should remain a happy memory. The moment past and I ended up with a bit of "Yes, Minister" followed by an episode of "The Thick of It" at it's sweary best.

The new contract is almost signed, but it requires a "witness" to countersign as well... this seems a bit odd and I've never had to do this in the past, but the money's very good, so I shan't complain... especially as they're also sending me a shiny, new XPS13 Plus as my kit for this gig.

I need to nip out to arrange some new glasses at some point, but all the available styles make me look like either a younger, fatter Elton John, or the third member of Hinge and Bracket. I might the bullet and go full on mid-life crisis architect.

Laters...

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Mattress arrived!

This one is 2,000 springs compared to the 1,200 of the old one, which possibly explains why it weighs 42kg

For reference, from the last time I did this:

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

According to the shipping label, this one weighs 29Kg

But as I managed to drag it from the landing into the living room and then into the bedroom, all without smashing anything else to bits or crippling myself, I'm hoping I'll manage to flip it OK
                    The guys brought it up in the lift and then, at my behest, pushed it into the hall through the front door of the flat, whence I would get it to the bedroom, as it's literally only a few feet and the only turn would be getting it through the door. I think I would have been better off (and my back would certainly have been) getting them to do that last little bit after all

But it's all done and in place now, ready for the making of the bed, and will presumably help my back to heal by supporting it properly overnight

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Mattress arrived!
                      Get yourself over onto Tinder and get it broken in properly Old Boy.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X