• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001? Two good bits (the monkeys at the start and "Sorry Dave I can't do that" separated by hours of tedium.

Over the years I've come to agree with the kid overheard as we exited the showing in the 1980s "I thought it was supposed to be good".

I suspect my tolerance for pretentiousness has waned rather a lot.

I remember seeing the large advertising hording for "2001" over some cinema or other in that London in 1968.

Whence it came:

http://future-lives.com/wp-content/u...heSentinel.pdf

Then again, don't get me started on "The name of the rose" which is pretension ladled upon pretension, with the book being even worse. Cadfael is better in oh so many ways.

Meanwhile on the 29th of June 2019 BR14 had made a return from the darkness.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 July 2023, 11:57.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Up very betimes so I can pop across town for a haircut. I could get away without one TBH, but a bit of a tidy-up around the edges wouldn't do any harm. It's possible I'll have to do without anyway, as the hairdresser warned me that she might not be there at times as her husband has terminal cancer

Sunny start out, and not to hot, being 11°C with 19° expected later along with more cloud. The barometers are back up a bit at 1005/1013mB

Looking out at the big lawn upon arising, who should be basking in the middle but the disabled fox! And then somebody who presumably works nights came home and, as their car turned in, it ran off across the lawn!

It's been getting on for a month since I'd seen it, which suggested that it had either recovered from the sarcoptic mange, or had died of it. I'd been to the trouble of obtaining ivermectin, administrable by mouth, with which to lace some food for it, the idea being to kill the mites so it could recover. Maybe one of the neighbours I've seen feeding it had the same idea, as it had been in a very bad way at times and was unlikely to recover on its own. Anyway, its brush is starting to grow back, and its fur seems less patchy if still rather grizzled. Most importantly, not only has it regained its wariness of humans as evidenced by it running away when the car turned in, it also ran without limping with its hind leg. So it looks like it's on the road to recovery

Comment

Haircut accomplished

Comment

Morning.

Thursday apparently.

Sunny.

Dry.

Bright.

Cool in here at 19.2 deg C, 20.5 deg in the kitchen, 18.5 deg in the leanto.

1012.5 mBar, 29.899 in Hg, 759.44 Torr, 14.685 psi, (up from 1010 last night if, in fact, I tapped the thing), 72% RH (GDR hair), 68% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 29th of June 2019 NF went to the Chinese and found that It Was Good.. Business, apparently, wasn't good due to the heatwave.

The Dry bright sunny & blue sky didn't last long, replaced by damp dreary grey sunless and wet.

Shopping trip to Tesco (38 bus out), Aldi (latest batch of prunes not fermenting in the packet unlike the last lot), and Morrisons. Knackered now after washing drying sanitising & putting away all the comestibles.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a yellow corner yog, bramble jelly & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Gap Finder: Richer of Richer Sounds fame. Thing about tea. TWATO was on but I have no recall what it whittered on about.

Privet hedges trimmed. Wild roses similarly trimmed. 9 buckets of windfall apples consigned to the compost heap.

Knackered now.

Entertainment: Trucking Hell. The one where Rory comes to the inescapable conclusion that the world has gone mad. Also the tanker with 18000 litres of sulphuric acid tipped over on the A1.

Tea: the final portion of chilli con carne with rice, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Joy of Painting. Replaced by a documentary about the making of Oppenheimer which illustrated how much shorter programmes are now than they used to be: the Joy of Painting has one, or at most 2 ads in the break, this thing had what seemed like an endless 6 or 7.

Joy of Painting. boring seascape again, though the made it seem shorter. .

Trucking Hell S7 E6: poor old Kevin (mouse) recovering a loaded 8 wheel tipper in a snowstorm on a country road in the dark. Lovely.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 July 2023, 15:25.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bright, sunny, and warming up nicely.

Hedge trimmed and grass cut yesterday whilst it was dry, so this could be a nice quiet day.

SD card is truly buggered. Still not sure what I've lost, but the phone is hinting that the photos might still be available. Today's the day to find out.

Bagged another couple of episodes of "Unforgotten" last night... and also found out that there are FOUR series. This could be a struggle, but I managed all seven series of "Mentalist", so this should be a walk in the park.

We also seem to have a fox of our own at the moment. A slim, young thing that's innocently annoying the dog by rubbing itself all over the grass.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Good morning, Philadelphia calling, local time 0743

Sunny, some cloud here and there. Currently 24 degrees with a high of 30 expected.

We are not supposed to be here. BA67 departed London late because they couldn't find a tug to do the pushback. We arrived too late into PHL to meet our connection and had to overnight here to await our rebooked flight which departs at 2pm. We were supposed to just pass through and be waking up in Seattle to take a one hour flight to Portland to get there for lunchtime. Now we'll be in Portland around 8pm. The joys of travel!

I have to say, I am pleased that Wednesday finally ended and didn't continue on.

Comment

Lunch has been the leftover pork cutlet from the other night, reheated and shoved in a wholemeal bap with apple sauce

Cloudy out now, as was foretold

Comment

Now back at PHL awaiting AA817 to LAX. From there we will take AA3203 to PDX.

Comment

Sainsbury's has been gone to

Mine was the only mask in the place, as usual nowadays

Good to have that out of the way, though

Comment

I missed the first twenty minutes or so of the opal hunters because of shopping, but I was in time to see one team find a big rock which, when opened up, contained around AUS$80,000 worth of opal

And then tea, a bit late because of shopping, was some (i.e. a lot of) cold roast chicken and a bag of crisps

That was accompanied by S6E19 of Trucking Hell meaning I'll soon be moving on to the new series

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X