• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The recycling has been taken down and the recycling bin trundled forth, which is probably the last time I'll do that here. End of an era!

And the Invisible Hand that has been resolutely putting out one black bin but leaving the others has finally cracked in the face of the overflowing ones, and put three out this week

Very frosty out already. It's -2°C now, and expected to reach -7° overnight

Comment

The bed was made after I finished work for the day.

I have finished The Big Bang Theory.

The new fitted sheet has been washed and draped about. The rest of bedding will be washed once the sheet is dry enough to put away.

Booked a flight Glasgow to see HWMBO for New Year although I have to come home on new year's day because the flight was half the price.

Comment

Tonight's car was a 1980s Ford Sierra, albeit in some demotic American form that they had to correct. One of the improvements they made was to fit it with the same pepper pot alloys as are worn by the Super Monkey Car, and it can't be denied that making it more like a Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia Mk. II is an improvement

And some more of the gold diggers seemed reasonably happy with their end of season tallies. I assume we'll be getting "another chance to see" the next season repeated in a few days; or maybe they'll switch back to repeating the opal hunters instead

And then a few old episodes of Police Interceptors. For some reason they've recently made a load more of these available but only until some time late in January, so it's probably best to get through them while I can

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Clear sky with some wispy bits here and there. Frosty. Currently -5 with a high of -1 expected. Barometer up to 1018 mBar.

The post box on the corner has a last collection time of 0900 so I dodged the ankle biters on their way to the school over the road and dropped off all the Christmas cards I've written.

Comment

Damn freezing weather. Me van wouldn't start yesterday so had to do a boring local walkies. This morning got no water. Assumed it was the autostop thing that switches supply off in freezing weather and put my little box heated by a car bulb round it. Now says on but still no water.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Morning denizens

Still cold: -5°C at the moment, but it's sunny so that should get the frost off the cars once it's high enough to clear the houses. It might just reach 1° later, and the barometers are up some more at 1010/1018mB

Comment

Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Blue sky.

Sunny.

Cold in here at 8.9 deg, 8 deg in the kitchen, 1 deg in the leanto but a cup of water had ice on the top. .

1018 mBar, 30.06 in Hg, 763.56 Torr, 14.7648 psi, (up from 1014 last night), 64% RH (GDR hair), 52% (Lidl, electric).

Strewth it's a bit chilly bruce.

To add to the joy this chrome book, the last access to the interweb, now restarts when logged in as me.

It's all going to hell in a handbasket around here.

Meanwhile on the 22nd of March 2019 WTFH wasn't having fun yet, NF had fish for tea, I had fish for tea.

I avoided listening to this until the last ep:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g3c1

which was wise.

Shopping trip to Morrisons to buy some bread since the advent of the dips has led to rather an increase in the consumption of same.

By some miracle they had wholemeal sunflower & spelt in stock as well as the sunflower & pumpkin seed, so I bought a loaf of each, one of which is now residing in the freezer duly portioned up.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons soy & linseed toasted crust, some dip on a slice of Morrisons sunflower & pumpkin seed bread, a red pippy corner yog, blackcurrant jam & marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: archive hour on R4 waffling on about Santa Klaus. They didn't mention Bruce's Xmas film though.

One is now tempted to pop down to Argos & get a printer that will print from a chromebook, after all the effort to avoid doing so.

After all there's only another 9 mostly defunct and/or never plugged in & obsolete printers cluttering up the place.

I did dismantle a couple of ancient ones & discard the bits down the dump some years ago or there'd be even more.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the perishing cold & even wanner sunshine of the late afternoon. 4th pond now frozen. 2nd pond (fishpond) frozen, 1st pond frozen. "Thin ice" notices appended thereto.

Strewth it's a bit chilly out there & not much better in here.

Tea: battered haddock, some peach slices, a yog, some dip on a slice of bread, 0.91*1.64 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM waffling on about stuff.

Wheeler Dealers S15 E26 mid 1980s Toyota Landcruiser FJ60: changed the 4 speed gearbox to a 5 speed which involved dismantling the tranfer case, recon propshafts, who knew prop shafts had phases? refurb of the front axle hubs to stop the differential oil leaking out, changed the brake shoes and made the handbrake work again by lubricating the lever in the drum. He waffled on about handbrakes on cars with disc brakes: the Big Bloo Volvo handbrake used brake shoes inside the disc to do this, whereas all the other cars I've had used some weird mechanism that operates on the disc pads. Cost £300 to change those on the Fiat Croma a year before its demise on September 11th 2001.

Dunno why he needed extra flux when soldering those wires: there's plenty of flux in the solder. Hope that flux wasn't acidic coz if it was the wire won't last long.

The rain commenced an hour or so ago, and the temperature in the saltinghouse has increassed to a balmy 3.6 deg. The ground is becoming interestingly crunchy underfoot.

Tony Robinson Walking through Britain: The Weald: iron works, blast furnaces, Henry VIII.

Tony Robinson Walking through Britain: The 1719 Clan uprising: he visited Eilean Donan Castle without uttering "There can be only one" or "Don't lose your head". Which was disappointing. .
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 December 2022, 23:10.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Not just me, neighbour over the road couldn't start his car either. Decided to put some of me cash into fixed rate account. 4.6% nowhere near inflation but better than leaving it earning 0% in me bank account.

PS Oh well, at least we don't live in Venezuela, inflation is 1198.0%. How do they cope with that?
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 16 December 2022, 10:15.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just popped out to retrieve the recycling bin, and it's bitter out there. The cars are two blocks of ice. But the sun's just starting to reach them and melt the frost, so I'll give it maybe an hour or so and with a bit of luck I won't have to stand there scraping

Comment

The sun worked its magic, and so a three-big-box-load of books has been taken over. One more of those and what remains can go on Sunday with everything else, including my vinyl

But all I had time to do was drop them off, as I need to pop up the road to the optical lab for my new reading glasses

In fact, I should have gone for them the other day, but I forgot because I was busy working out how to fit a kitchen table and a bookcase into the back of a Toyota Corolla

Still, going now means I can pop into Greggs for lunch on the way back and also pick up a couple of bits from the Amazon Locker. Then back to the flat, taking assorted bits that it may seem useful to shift ahead of the big move
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 16 December 2022, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                      X