• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Still sunny out

It's forecast to get cloudy this afternoon, but too late; we'll already be at 28°C by then

Currently 26° in here, 21° outside.

But tomorrow: cooler, with a chance of rain, and no more than 22° for the rest of the week

Comment

Morning workers!
      Clear blue skies, sunshine, very humid and currently 24C in the shade outside.

Guineafowl are behaving themselves - I have to take 3 of them down to Dorset tomorrow as my sister in law is having them. That will leave us with 3, until we let them out of their caged run, at which point I doubt we'll ever see them again.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In other news...

BA emailed me on Friday night to say our flight on the morning of Sunday 8th September was cancelled due to the strike on 9th.
        Did I want a refund or to rebook?
        I immediately rebooked for the day before, if everyone else is rebooking, I wanted to make sure we had seats. But I also checked on their website and they were still selling seats for the flight that we were originally on.

Got it sorted to the Saturday flight.

Then emailed the car hire people asking for an extra day's hire.
        Then emailed the first hotel we are staying at to see if we could get an extra night.

Saturday evening I got an email from BA to say they had re-scheduled and my flight was now no longer cancelled.

So the extra cost of the hotel and car hire was unnecessary, but it's paid for now. One extra day's holiday.
        The good news is that originally we wanted to fly on the Saturday, but economy seats were the same price as business on Sunday, and business seats were stupidly expensive, so we booked for the Sunday. Now we get the Saturday in business for the price we paid for Sunday

Comment

In with the hoi polloi.

It's Lego(tm) day again.

Thought I'd successfully sent a reference for a mate, but it's not in "sent".

That must be why they've sent me a form by snail mail.

Home again, home again, jiggety jig.

One of my current tomes* just made reference to James Woolsey, ex head of the CIA and his mysterious visit to Swansea and Ye Olde Sloughe Of Desponde.

R. James Woolsey Jr. - Wikipedia.

Abdul Basit

BBC NEWS | Wales | CIA checked college terror 'link'

What really amused me was the very concept that Registry might be expected to hold any details whatsoever of the said student.

90% of the time it's down to individual lecturers keeping stuff in cardboard boxes.

Which no longer happens since there's no longer any storage space.

*"The Accidental American: Tony Bliar and the Presidency" by James Naughtie. It was written in 2004 and we're still stuck in the same tuliphole places all these years later.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 August 2019, 11:13.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Living room was at 27.4°C, outside at 25°; the sun was still at an angle to shine in a bit, but not much. So, as an experiment, I opened the curtains to see if the temperature gradient across the glass would let any heat out.

About an hour later: temperature outside still 25°, temperature inside is 28°

Looks like the inventor of the greenhouse might have a point

Comment

It's a sweltering 23 deg in here at the moment.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                It's a sweltering 23 deg in here at the moment.
                Curtains redrawn, back down to 27.8° in half an hour. I may try again once the sun is properly out of the way round the corner; though outside is now 26°

Roast pork and apple sauce bap (wholemeal) and a bag of plain crisps for lunch

Comment

On the bright side, we've got a weather warning for thunderstorms around 1600 from the Met Office

Comment

Outside has hit 31C in the shade, I've just gone out to check for eggs (3), say hello to the Guineas (6) and fill some of the wild bird feeders (7)

Now in to cool off again.

Comment

Laundry on, before I run out of clean clothes

Comment

Working...
                      X