• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of the day: Tergiversation.

Amazing what one finds in these tomes, what?

TERGIVERSATION | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Well I never did.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I don't have an air pistol. Currently.

I have got a nice sabre that would do the job, but given the position of my desk and the window, if a cyclist/other vermin was sitting on the windowsill and I pointed the .22 at it, the muzzle would be 10cm the other side of them.
    Also, the sight min focus is 10 yards, and it's dialled in for about twice that.
    If the target is that close you don't need sights.

As in "go ahead, make my day".
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Shopping done

I was a few minutes early at the pharmacy and had to wait, along with a couple of other people. The weird thing is that the woman behind the counter was able to go and get our prescriptions, already bagged up because of online prescribing, off the shelf and lined up on the counter. Then, when the pharmacist on duty returned from wherever they'd been guzzling their cheese cob and ready salted, she immediately doled them out to us; the pharmacist never even looked at them. But because, legally, handing them over to the customer is the act of "dispensing", the pharmacist has to be present even though they did all the dispensing-related activity up to that final step a day or two earlier

Anyway, once that was done, onwards to M&S, and then Sainsbury's, where I managed to get a couple of the last chicken bits from the hot food counter for lunch

Comment

Washing done.

The WM is smelling a bit musty so I think I'll run some bleach through it to discourage the bugs a bit.

It had a 75 deg wash this morning but it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Comment

Why is it getting warmer in here despite the outside being cooler? Thermodynamics isn't supposed to work like that

(It's 24° outside which is the hottest it's been today, yet gone from 28.5° to 29° in the living room… no direct sunshine to speak of all day, and it's uniformly overcast now.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Why is it getting warmer in here despite the outside being cooler? Thermodynamics isn't supposed to work like that

(It's 24° outside which is the hottest it's been today, yet gone from 28.5° to 29° in the living room… no direct sunshine to speak of all day, and it's uniformly overcast now.)
            24.7 in here at the moment.

Pleasant enough.

I think I put too much bleach in the washing machine.

The foam is remarkable.

I've stewed some apples since it seems a pity to consign them all to the compost heap.

One batch had the last of a packet of icing sugar, the 2nd had some soft brown sugar.

Tastes ok but looks very odd indeed.

I shall have some with custard as a sweet for my tea.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 July 2019, 15:45.

Comment

do you have solid brick exterior walls?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Brick?

None of that modern fancy stuff. Stone walls all the way. If it was good enough for me and my ancestors who lived on these islands for generations, then it's good enough for those immigrants who are Norman and Saxon!
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Brick?

None of that modern fancy stuff. Stone walls all the way. If it was good enough for me and my ancestors who lived on these islands for generations, then it's good enough for those immigrants who are Norman and Saxon!
                  did i ask you?
                  no.

solid <not cavity*> brick walls absorb heat when the sun's on them, and then radiate it away when not.
                  like the old storage radiators <except they used firebrick, but the principle's the same>
                  and the radiation is internal And external.

thermodynamics lesson over.

get back to your sniper nest, there'll be one along in a minute

* the air gap in cavity walls insulates the interior wall from this radiation, so you don't have the problem

HTH
                  Last edited by BR14; 26 July 2019, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    Not sure. "However they built commodious villas intended for the families of factory owners (and their domestic servants) in 1880" would be the answer

Though it's the living room and bedroom (which was part of the living room before the place was turned into flats, and is extremely narrow as a result) that have the most heat buildup, and their external faces are almost entirely window. Single-glazed sashes starting about two feet off the floor and about seven feet high (including frames) finishing about eight inches short of the ceiling, to be precise; quite possibly with the same glass as was put in in 1880. The main ones form a rectangular bay taking up most of the width of the room, with windows on all three external sides.

Like this (first floor):

Comment

Not sure. "However they built commodious villas intended for the families of factory owners (and their domestic servants) in 1880" would be the answer

Though it's the living room and bedroom (which was part of the living room before the place was turned into flats, and is extremely narrow as a result) that have the most heat buildup, and their external faces are almost entirely window. Single-glazed sashes starting about two feet off the floor and about seven feet high (including frames) finishing about eight inches short of the ceiling, to be precise; quite possibly with the same glass as was put in in 1880. The main ones form a rectangular bay taking up most of the width of the room, with windows on all three external sides.

Like this (first floor):

even worse.
                      you have all my sympathy
                      solid walls, single glazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X