• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I got rid of a 4 foot tall pile of PC Pro etc. some years ago.

All the rest of the mags are now down in the garage, totally inaccessible, in plastic boxes of a size that is essentially unmovable, along with a shedload of paperbacks that I have no bookshelf space for in the house (having originally lived in a book case in the parents' house).

I have retained the multiplicity of CDs and DVDs off the front of said mags since they don't take up all that much space and some of them have useful stuff (if you run Win3.11/95/98/2000/XP and the like ).

I'm not sure of the utility of the CP/M stuff though.
    I've been considering what to do with the CDs etc. as I don't really have any use for them. The Internet Archive has a growing collection of such things, so I might ship them off to California to be preserved for posterity

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I've been considering what to do with the CDs etc. as I don't really have any use for them. The Internet Archive has a growing collection of such things, so I might ship them off to California to be preserved for posterity
      Surely there must be some sort of ap to allow one to run some essential DOS or Win3.11 program from 1991 on one's Mac?

Here's a question that needs answering:

“Is Your Washroom Breeding Bolsheviks?” - Sociological Images
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 May 2019, 11:34.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Bought a copy of the big issue today. Unusually it was quite a boring read.

Comment

Links are up

Comment

Surely there must be some sort of ap to allow one to run some essential DOS or Win3.11 program from 1991 on one's Mac?
            There are, and one can even run them in the browser once the Internet Archive has them; though I thought this game was rubbish even when I was coding it: Dream Warrior : Tarann Ltd. : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

This is probably why getting the key to the executive washroom was such a huge thing in American films of a certain era

Comment

Speaking of washrooms, the bogs on this floor were out of action earlier.

I thusly had to walk 50 yards to the other end of the building to take a slash.

And how the telephone exchange is fecked.

'Tis all go in academia today.

Plus I went to Waterstones & spent another £30 at lunch time.

One of the 2nd year esteemed customers just asked me how to do a problem in network (electrical not computer) theory that uses the superposition theorem.

He was out of luck there then.

Inneresting.

Q-bert and the snake is on that site.

And I can't figure out how to make it work.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 May 2019, 14:03.

Comment

Pleasantly warm afternoon, hilarious goings on at the client.

Cadbury's haven't produced anything as flakey as their network. (that's the polite version, the adult version is: "If only your wife went down as often as the network")

And I'm getting asked the question: "why is the database slow?" (I'm not a DBA)
                I ask them to run tests. Where the network is stable, the results are fine. No slow database, no timeouts, etc.

Where the network is flakey, the results are slower.

Could it be the database?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's the Wrong Colour Electricity.

It's probably running off the old Red, Yellow, Blue electricity rather than the New Improved Brown, Black, Grey electricity.

<- what happens if you get the colours wrong.

Comment

Bacon bap (wholemeal) for lunch

And the laundry is on.

I should start sorting out old magazines. I find it easier to get motivated now the things that were in the way are no longer in the way, being in the space formerly occupied by the old bookcases; having to spend (what seems like) ages (but is really only a few minutes) shifting stuff around before being able to start is highly demoralising.

Comment

I've got several crt tvs that need to visit the dump.

When I say "several" I probably mean 10.

I suspect they'll have to wait until I hire a van to get shot of the accumulated mattresses and bed out the back next door.

That cable colour thing led me down some twisty passages.

Who'd have thunk of knob and tube wiring.

Only the Septics.

Sounds lethal.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 May 2019, 15:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X