• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon denizens

Quite Simpsonesque out there, and a balmy 15°C

Comment

Football!

Last game of the season, apparently. Not sure if that means as much as it used to; I'm sure they find some way to make money off it even during the close season

Comment

Sunday afternoon shop done.

Cue the Aldi Lidl song:

Stainless steel screws, antihistamines, PTFE spray, silicon sealant.

I left the welding rods & welder where they were.

And the aircompressor.

I wanted another diamond cutting disc for 2kW anglegrinder but they'd all gone.

Lovely afternoon.

Aldi Lidl led to this:
        YouTube

Not quite sure of the link there.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 May 2019, 15:05.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          I wanted another diamond cutting disc for 2kW anglegrinder but they'd all gone.
          Lot of angles being ground down your way?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Lot of angles being ground down your way?
            well, they're not too fond of angles, them taffies

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              well, they're not too fond of angles, them taffies
              Bloody immigrants, coming here and stealing our country. .

Tea/dinner this evening was another Ginster's Cornish Pasty with Heinz baked beans on Morrisons thick cut seeded toast.

It was nice enough, followed by a rhubarb yoghurt and a couple of mugs of tea (Glengettie of course).

Those mushrooms ain't doing their job since I had to get up & look at the pot to remember wtf it was.

In other other news, the Next Door Neighbour finally managed to bestir himself and we assembled the Briggs & Stratton Lawn mower and he mowed the lawn.

For which tender mercy, much thanks.

'Twas, of course, my oil (an ancient "free" 500ml of GTX2) and petrol (out of a 10 litre petrol can that had been festering in the boot of one or other car for 10 years or more.

For some reason unleaded is required which is just as well considering that the only leaded stuff these days is avgas.

I wonder how old that GTX2 is, must be 30 years or more.

It was the only oil I could reach in what passes for my garage, the remainder being unreachable due to piles of junk, some of which isn't mine.

And having sorted the mower, I'm feeling a bit happier* now.

*Relatively speaking
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 12 May 2019, 17:28.

Comment

Afternoon all

Done a bit of gardening today between billable hours
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In other other news, the Next Door Neighbour finally managed to bestir himself and we assembled the Briggs & Stratton Lawn mower and he mowed the lawn.

For which tender mercy, much thanks.

<snip>

And having sorted the mower, I'm feeling a bit happier* now.

*Relatively speaking

I've just stashed the last remaining loose books (i.e. ones now unshelved due to the disposal of the two ancient bookcases the other day) in a couple of plastic crates purchased for that purpose (about a year ago…) and started sorting through a pile of magazines. All the late '90s-early '00s copies of PC Pro and PC Magazine are going, as I don't really need reviews of the first Pentium 2 desktop PCs, a tutorial on how to use a £299 software library to resize images on the web server, or programming tips for .NET Framework version 1

And the old New Scientists and Scientific Americans can go too. There aren't even sets of them, as I tended just to pick them up while queuing for the till at Borders if the cover art looked nice or whatever.

One copy of DDJ is going to have to go as the mice somehow managed to inflict urine contamination on the front edge, but the others I've found so far are OK. They can stay, as they tend to cover fundamental stuff rather than passing fancies; also, they're only about 3mm thick rather than 3cm

Comment

This evening's first attempt at entertainment was "Vanilla Sky (2001)" with that Tom Cruise character.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259711...1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Unfortunately the dvd proves to be Region 1, thusly requires much pressing of assorted buttons to get something that resembles the right aspect ratio.

The other thing it required was a plot that developed a bit fecking faster which accounts for it biting the dust after 25 interminable minutes.

Currently watching "The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963)" with Peter Sellers, John le Mesurier, Lionel Jeffries, Bernard Cribbins, Arthur Mullard et al.

The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963) - IMDb

Apparently a pre stardom Michael Caine was in it too, not a lot of people know that.

We now have the remarkable sight of a Wolsey 6/110 attempting to catch a DB5.

And Nanette Newman before Fairy Liquid.

And momentarily we have the sheer excitement of the Oak Island nutjobs.

I wonder what they won't find this week.

Nothing to write home about.

Now looking at some maps a recently deceased nutjob had put together over 50 years.

To add to the interest of the evening, now looking for round enamel roasting dishes with lids.

Can't believe I'm doing this.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 May 2019, 07:12.

Comment

Nice little fry-up for tea

This evening's first attempt at entertainment was "Vanilla Sky (2001)" with that Tom Cruise character.

Unfortunately the dvd proves to be Region 1, thusly requires much pressing of assorted buttons to get something that resembles the right aspect ratio.

The other thing it required was a plot that developed a bit fecking faster which accounts for it biting the dust after 25 interminable minutes.
                      I've got that, but whenever I think of watching it I look at the plot summary and think "Yeah, no, not tonight"

Currently watching "The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963)" with Peter Sellers, John le Mesurier, Lionel Jeffries, Bernard Cribbins, Arthur Mullard et al.

The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963) - IMDb
                      Many years since I've seen that; it was a good one, as I recall

I drove past Arthur Mullard's former local, the Hen & Chickens at Highbury Corner, the other weekend - my brother used to live up the road in the 1980s, which is how I know that's what it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X