• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just over 20GB. Not too bad really

Now restoring said dump to a local database running on Docker. Once that's done, I can confirm whether my intended fix for an unbelievably slow query actually works
    Of course there might turn out to be too much data for the Docker image to handle…

Comment

Of course there might turn out to be too much data for the Docker image to handle…
      Indeed - had to restart Docker; not just the Docker image with the database, but Docker itself

Comment

Indeed - had to restart Docker; not just the Docker image with the database, but Docker itself
        So I decided the hell with that, let's just apply the changes straight to production

It's only adding an index to one field, but I took the opportunity to start a new application server, as the current one has been running for months. No problems with it, but it's nice to start fresh now and again.

Anyway, the added index seems to have done the trick. Yesterday, the query in question took 39.4 seconds; today: 0.02 seconds. An improvement of around three orders of magnitude seems worthwhile

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Oh good.

The next door but one neighbour has finished strimming with his petrol strimmer.

Sunday afternoon shop done & dusted at Tesco and Morrisons.

Some nice bargains at Morrisons.

Eccles Cakes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fresh raspberries (which are about to get stewed before they go furry).

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
          well the moonbase is now a bowling green in waiting. One of my mates came to help now I have stopped faffing about with the little but important things. Being 20 years younger and builder by trade he managed to make it look easy, I was trying to keep up with him. Today we were topping up with compost which meant a lot of trips to Asda a few tons of compost and a very flat lawn. Plus on reduced (hence the quote) I bought some Venison burgers and sausage and bean soups. Oh don't forget hot cross loaf.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just been potching about a bit, sort of aimlessly.

Put a new 13A plug on the etching facility in the shed.

No rush, it's only been here since August.

Then potched about a bit more, and selected a foot or so of tomes for donation to the lucky folks at the Oxfam charity bookshop in Swansea.

I'm sure they'll be ever so grateful for 40 & nearly 50 year old tomes about field theory and the like.

I'm sure if I'd read some of them I'd really be better off.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

So I decided the hell with that, let's just apply the changes straight to production

It's only adding an index to one field, but I took the opportunity to start a new application server, as the current one has been running for months. No problems with it, but it's nice to start fresh now and again.

Anyway, the added index seems to have done the trick. Yesterday, the query in question took 39.4 seconds; today: 0.02 seconds. An improvement of around three orders of magnitude seems worthwhile

Comment

Yesterday, the query in question took 39.4 seconds; today: 0.02 seconds. An improvement of around three orders of magnitude seems worthwhile
                IIRC I achieved a stunning 3x improvement in something or other on the GA 16-220 system by realising that doing stuff in bytes on a 16 bit machine was pretty dumb.

I was ever so pleased.

It was almost as successful as porting a loader software from RTOS to MTS without realising that when the E register got changed it put really really strange data into the tester.

Took a while to figure that one out.

How I larfed.

Especially since I wasn't the one who'd spent several hours trying to figure out why the IC tester wouldn't run that program.

The loader software in question being the thousand odd lines of assembler with the sole comment being "START".

That's 35 or so years ago.

And just think, that GA had 48k and was slower than the Amstrad 1512. while costing about 50 or 60 times as much.

Tea/dinner was poached egg & poached tomato on sunflower seed toast.

It was quite nice.

It's a probably unsuccessful attempt to reduced the flatulence to be expected tomorrow in "work".
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 April 2019, 17:54.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

carrying on the technical stuff, baked pork chop glazed with honey and mustard, with chips and peas.

for tea/dinner/scran/ whateverthefeckyouwanttocallit

Comment

The chicken I hastily grabbed off the shelf in M&S because it was the nearest one with a viable use-by date turns out, on closer examination, to be huge enough that palaeontologists will mistake it for one of the larger dinosaurs when they uncover its bones in landfill some generations hence

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not complaining about this

Comment

The chicken I hastily grabbed off the shelf in M&S because it was the nearest one with a viable use-by date turns out, on closer examination, to be huge enough that palaeontologists will mistake it for one of the larger dinosaurs when they uncover its bones in landfill* some generations hence

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not complaining about this
                      on that note, can we PLEASE have a mr creosote emoji thingy wotsit????

*after processing into stock/soup of course?

Comment

Working...
                      X