• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    <spoiler> Jim Laaaad won out in the end. </spoiler>

This evening's 2nd feature is "The Numbers Station (2013)" with John Cusack et al.

The Numbers Station (2013) - IMDb

I'm not altogether sure that's how a numbers station works, seeing as they usually broadcast non stop.

Well that was ok in its way.
    Indeed:

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    This evening's main feature, after some more of Hospital during dinner, was The Numbers Station (2013), concerning a couple of CIA people broadcasting coded messages from a bunker at the former RAF Bentwaters who come under attack by mysterious assailants. It has its good moments, but it's all rather bleak. Not a thrilling kind of thriller, really, but if you want something more brooding then it might be worth ninety minutes of your time.

The depiction of how a numbers station operates is completely wrong, though. There's no person sitting at a microphone reading out numbers; somebody did the voice for each digit maybe sixty or more years ago, and the recordings are spliced together for each message. MI6's Lincolnshire Poacher and Cherry Ripe did have the final digit of each five digit group in a slightly raised tone, so it sounded like "five seven one six nine" or whatever, but that's as far as any variation went, and that was just to ensure the end of the group was detectable in case of poor reception. Apart from anything else, the person listening might not even speak English and had to have familiar sounds to make sure they got the numbers right, so using a different voice could break the whole system for one or more assets.

Also, you can't just send out messages at any time. The whole point is that the recipient only listens at certain fixed times for any messages intended for them, like 10PM on Tuesday say (repeated at some other fixed time in case they missed it for some reason). And without giving too much away, that restriction upends the plot entirely.

But if you don't know a lot about numbers stations, you probably wouldn't be as distracted by all that as I was

Another couple of rewatches here tonight, despite there being about 400 films in my collection I haven't watched yet; starting with Ghost in the Shell (2017), which was also on telly tonight which made me think of it. However I watched it at a time of my own choosing, and without having to so much as fast-forward through an advert. Very good, with great effects and a good story

And then a rerun of District 9 (2009) in which the giant alien ship arrives and turns out to contain a load of scuzzy refugees. Lots of action, good satire, and some very funny moments; my favourite of the giant alien mothership genre, as that's probably how it'll actually turn out when they arrive

Goodnight all

Comment

Another couple of rewatches here tonight, despite there being about 400 films in my collection I haven't watched yet
      Only 400?

That's barely a start.

It's when the receipt for the dvd is 10 years old & you still haven't watched the damn thing that you need to start worrying.

Or when you look at a wall covered in dvds & there's still Nothing To Watch.

So you make some pseudo random choice & it turns out to be absolute crap.

Or you pick some film you really really liked nearly 40 years ago & it turns out to be absolute crap & you watch most of it in FF or you pick one with Bruce Willis on the cover & he's in it for 37 seconds 25.2 minutes in.

Morning. 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dry.

Grey.

Coldish.

Getting polleny again from the feel of it.

Barometer rising.

Back to "work" tomorrow for 23 days.

Unbearable.

Even found a duplicate of the dire Kenneth Branagh version of Frankestein.

Couldn't find the one I watched so I assume that's gone already.
      Found it, it's still there but it won't be by next Saturday afternoon.

I've still got the ripped copy of "Hanna" that I ought to burn.

There's a suggestion in the IMDB trivia that the late Warren Clarke lost money on "The Numbers Station".

In other other news, lunch, today, shall be roast leg of lamb with added lamb's heart.

I expect it to be Very Nice.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 April 2019, 08:31.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all back in from a big walk with Millie. Started out knowing it was too cold not to have a coat on, but by half an hour in was glad I didn’t have the extra layer.

Might do some gardening later.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey out, but dry, a bit less chilly, and a lot less windy

Comment

Comment

Only 400?

That's barely a start.

It's when the receipt for the dvd is 10 years old & you still haven't watched the damn thing that you need to start worrying.

Or when you look at a wall covered in dvds & there's still Nothing To Watch.

So you make some pseudo random choice & it turns out to be absolute crap.

Or you pick some film you really really liked nearly 40 years ago & it turns out to be absolute crap & you watch most of it in FF or you pick one with Bruce Willis on the cover & he's in it for 37 seconds 25.2 minutes in.
              Been there, or close, on all of these

Not to mention the things bought on Blu-ray for which I already have the DVD, still in its cellophane

Comment

In other other news, lunch, today, shall be roast leg of lamb with added lamb's heart.

I expect it to be Very Nice.
                It would have been better if it hadn't cooked to death while I was down the dump.

Some plasterboard. scrap metal, glass and paper disposed of.

Been there, or close, on all of these

Not to mention the things bought on Blu-ray for which I already have the DVD, still in its cellophane
                Only done that once so far, the Bluray of "Payback" had the theatre and director's cut on it, while the dvd was just the theatre cut.

The director's cut was nearly a different film.

Payback (1999) - IMDb

Lucy Lui as a dominatrix.

Wot's not to like?

Comment

Brightening up a little out there now

Currently grabbing a local dump of a database running on AWS; I suspect this may take some time, as it's the one that keeps a copy of my Twitter timeline, amongst other stuff. There are just under 3,700,000 tweets in there right now

Comment

Oh good.

The next door but one neighbour has finished strimming with his petrol strimmer.

Sunday afternoon shop done & dusted at Tesco and Morrisons.

Some nice bargains at Morrisons.

Eccles Cakes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fresh raspberries (which are about to get stewed before they go furry).

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Brightening up a little out there now

Currently grabbing a local dump of a database running on AWS; I suspect this may take some time, as it's the one that keeps a copy of my Twitter timeline, amongst other stuff. There are just under 3,700,000 tweets in there right now
                      Just over 20GB. Not too bad really

Now restoring said dump to a local database running on Docker. Once that's done, I can confirm whether my intended fix for an unbelievably slow query actually works

Comment

Working...
                      X