• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I for one am looking forward to your blow-by-blow account of it all
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    me too! - can't wait! - i've pre-ordered the boxset
    Cheeky barstewards.

This evening's first epic is "The Battle of the River Plate (1957)" being the last of the Powell/Pressburger epics.

The Battle of the River Plate (1956) - IMDb

I find these naval battle films very moving for reasons I really can't explain.

All those poor bloody sailormen on both sides.

Currently watching the Oak Island nutjobs who are in France this week at some castle or other.

Gosh.

The French on the old map is Olde Frenche which is, apparently, different from new French.

Who'd have thunk it?

Now they're off down into the tunnels under the castle for more unbearable excitement.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 April 2019, 20:38.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I'd forgotten about that smoked gammon joint I roasted the other day. Just carved it, froze most, and shoved the remainder in a wholemeal bap which, with a bag of plain crisps, was quite enough for tea after the roast dinner this afternoon

Comment

test please delete

Sorry to be all emotional but...5 years ago today, my best friend in England, Brett aged 50, passed away due to bowel cancer. I’ve had a glass of Captain Morgan’s Private Stock in his memory.I brought 2 bottles back from the US 6 years ago and his widow has the other bottle.
        Screw brexit, screw politics, screw money, and all that BS. at the end of the day good friends are what counts.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Sorry to be all emotional but...5 years ago today, my best friend in England, Brett aged 50, passed away due to bowel cancer. I’ve had a glass of Captain Morgan’s Private Stock in his memory.I brought 2 bottles back from the US 6 years ago and his widow has the other bottle.
          Screw brexit, screw politics, screw money, and all that BS. at the end of the day good friends are what counts.
          <- manly

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            me too! - can't wait! - i've pre-ordered the boxset
            Wait until you find a copy in a charity shop (and make sure you buy two to be sure).

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
              Wait until you find a copy in a charity shop (and make sure you buy two to be sure).
              Two to be sure, three to be certain, and four to find the 3rd one is actually different to what's shown on the cover.

Works for me.

Rather enjoyed "The Battle of the River Plate".

Odd how some of the reviewers don't seem to get the stiff upper lip thing.

And criticize the naval battle.

I suppose that's what makes horse races.

Currently watching something about the real inglorious bastards on "Together".
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 21 April 2019, 22:01.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Two to be sure, three to be certain, and four to find the 3rd one is actually different to what's shown on the cover.

Works for me.

Rather enjoyed "The Battle of the River Plate".

Odd how some of the reviewers don't seem to get the stiff upper lip thing.

And criticize the naval battle.

I suppose that's what makes horse races.

Currently watching something about the real inglorious bastards on "Together".
                It's been years since I saw "The Battle of the River Plate." ISTR enjoying it. Might have to look it up now.

Comment

May your glass be ever full....

Comment

This evening, a rewatch of RoboCop (1987). Pretty good, though showing its age a little.

Also, it's certificate 18, but some of the humour and certain other aspects of it seem to be targeted more towards 14-year-old boys. Still, I suppose there's a fair proportion of the over-18 film-watching population that don't have overly sophisticated tastes

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
                      <- manly
                      WcbS <- manly

Comment

Working...
                      X