• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got hungry again so I'm quickly guzzling a hot dog before heading to the funeral, which answers the question of whether the croissants were breakfast or lunch as it's too early for tea
    Last edited by NickFitz; 2 April 2019, 16:20. Reason: Got, not Git. Autocorrect must be confused by all the git commands I've been typing…

Comment

Funeral done

Pretty good turnout really, given he was an only child with no family bar a couple of distant cousins he hadn't seen in many years - who showed up, having been tracked down through that nebulous Leicester chain of working-class-roots connections of which an outsider like myself will never be part.

Just came home to leave the car here, and now off to the pub to drink Roger's health

Comment

RIP Roger.

X7 home again jiggety jig.

This evening's Tea/Dinner was M&S battered haddock along with shedloads of mushrooms.

It was Very Nice.

This evening's entertainment began with a bonfire, which, for unknown reasons, emitted vast quantities of black smoke & burned very hot indeed.

The evening's televisual entertainment is the bluray of "Mr Turner (2014)" with Timothy Spall.

Mr. Turner (2014) - IMDb

There seems to be a distinct lack of action and a complete absence of guns.

Judging by the titles it's a bit arty.

Curious.

A chap is shaving a pig's head, I'm unsure as to quite why.

Maybe it was a thing back then, like pig's head fecking is for Tories.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 April 2019, 19:31.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          RIP Roger.

WDSS

This evening's entertainment began with a bonfire, which, for unknown reasons, emitted vast quantities of black smoke & burned very hot indeed.

you still got a car on the drive??

<where's the addled emoji thingy? - i could put it in my sig>

chilli for tea/dinner/supper/whatchcallit. -VG.

lot's 'cos i had munchies for some reason

Comment

Good turnout at the pub too. And there’s a few people I haven’t seen in a few years, though I’ve known them for many more. Among the items recovered from his flat are hand-drawn versions of the floor plan for a club I used to work in, which he designed largely as it was eventually implemented : music:

I vaguely remember seeing these around 1996, when the owners wanted me to be full time manager of the downstairs bar. I didn’t want that, and worked there semi-part-time for about a year before I ditched the licensed trade in favour of what turned out to be web development

Comment

It wasn't the car, either of them.

I rather think it was some odd rubbery stuff that came out of a cardboard box.

Some one just shouted in the film.

His wife seems somewhat dischuffed.

Feck me, Timothy Spall shouldn't try to sing.

There's something about the 1820s which seems quite stifling.

WTF is this Scottish woman Somerville a doing off?

Magnetising needles with a violet light?

And Turner can't lecture to save his life.

He's even worse than me.

Which is saying something.

Feck me it's hard work making paint in 1826.

Ah, the joys of Friar's Balsam. That brings back some memories.

Exit stage left Turner Snr.

And thence to the knocking shoppe or brothel.

Very odd.

It's almost as if there's no script.

Wait a minute.

It's a Mike Leigh film.

There's no script.

Oh, he's just backscuttled the house keeper without so much as a by your leave.

The fool has just tied himself to a mast in a snow storm for no readily apparent reason & given himself bronchitis.

More Friar's Balsam.

I just felt jealous of some dead bluebottles.

Only another hour to go.

And now his daughter's popped her clogs.

We've just reached 1846 or so.

Only 5 years to go.

Feck me now a conversation about gooseberries.

And the climate they prefer.

Feck me, now the conversation regards Turner's slave ship painting.

The Slave Ship - Wikipedia

Ah.

A railway engine.

And now V & A have Turnered up.

HM doesn't appreciate his efforts.

To the photographer's we go.

Feck me there's another 27 minutes of this.

He's just turned down £100k (equvalent to £13.5M) for his paintings.

And now, at long last, he's popped his clogs.

'Twas a battle to get it made.

Epic.

<overnight hiatus and interstitial pause>

It transpires that Strangelove Sister liked it, being more on the arty farty line than I.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 3 April 2019, 11:36.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

2 days post go live, and the client has no idea how we are holding it together. So far they have forgotten about £250k of stock that they can’t explain where it has gone. They also don’t understand how 6 customers received correct deliveries when the paperwork says they didn’t. They’ve no idea what I’ve done in 30+ hours work over the last 2 days.
                And next week, they’ll wonder why fish and chips costs £55 in the hotel I’m holed up in.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Home from the pub, as one is, or does, or may be

<falls over sideways>

Comment

No Pink Floyd at the service. There was When You Walk In The Room by The Searchers, because that was one of Roger's favourite songs when he was younger; Stone Free by Jimi Hendrix because that was a song Roger and his friends (including the one who organised the occasion) used to play in their band, Roger having managed to transcribe all the parts from listening to it overnight; Friend of Mine by John Hiatt, because the organiser likes it and offered it as a tribute; and Into The Mystic by Van Morrison, because it was one of Roger's favourite songs full stop.

Once I shambled home, my TV viewing was Appropriate Adult (TV Mini-Series 2011), concerning the social worker Janet Leach who acted in that role for Fred West, formerly of 25 Cromwell Street, Gloucester. Not sure why I was in the mood for that, but it's very good.

Goodnight all
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 3 April 2019, 03:22.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      No Pink Floyd at the service. There was When You Walk In The Room by The Searchers, because that was one of Roger's favourite songs when he was younger; Stone Free by Jimi Hendrix because that was a song Roger and his friends (including the one who organised the occasion) used to play in their band, Roger having managed to transcribe all the parts from listening to it overnight; Friend of Mine by John Hiatt, because the organiser likes it and offered it as a tribute; and Into The Mystic by Van Morrison, because it was one of Roger's favourite songs full stop.

Once I shambled home, my TV viewing was Appropriate Adult (TV Mini-Series 2011), concerning the social worker Janet Leach who acted in that role for Fred West, formerly of 25 Cromwell Street, Gloucester. Not sure why I was in the mood for that, but it's very good.

Goodnight all
                      Oh, and the question we'd all been asking was finally answered: aortic dissection

Comment

Working...
                      X