• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all.

Early start before heading out for a 200km ride on the bike. Testing some new kit on the bike and getting some miles in as prep begins in earnest for the big race in July.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Amongst the assorted dvds acquired today, alongside "Run Silent, Run Deep" with Burt Lancaster and Clark "Frankly my dear, I couldn't give a damn" Gable, was "Lovelace", being the biographty of Linda of that name rather than the first lady programmer.

Oddly, the lady of mature years who served me, came out with the immortal line: "Oh. I didn't know that was there or I'd have bought it myself".

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Tonight's film was Ocean's Eight (2018) and, frankly, it's not very good. It lacks zing, or possibly pizzaz, or maybe both; not much to either the characters or the plot, really. Shame, as the idea behind it could have worked well with a bit more effort from whoever was responsible.
      One suspected this, judging by the rate of fall of its purchase price in various emporia one has visited.

Not quite as precipitous as the latest "Robin Hood" but getting there.

In other other news, both washing machines are in use, the laundry room having been warmed from 2 deg to 12 deg by dint of a fan heater blowing warmish air over said machines.

I may have to address increasing the insulation on the thing once I've retired.

<hiatus>

Stone me, all 3 machines are still going.

The tumble drier is doing its usual 2 minutes to go, sorry, 9 minutes to go, 2 minutes to go, 12 minutes to go sort of thing.

At least when the washing machine says there's 23 minutes to go, it really means it.

<hiatus briefer than the previous one>

Shirts now tumble dried.

Jeans & socks & stuff tumble drying next:23 minutes allegedly.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 February 2019, 15:12.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

A no-alarm night's sleep, and I feel most refreshed by it - I woke up about half-ten for a bit, then slept solidly for another three-and-a-bit hours

Sunny out, and slightly warmer at about 4°C.

Comment

Getting a bit chillier now… down to -4°C here tonight, apparently

I'm going to pop up to Big Tesco in a bit, as I've got some Tesco vouchers (the result of some promotion or other from my power supplier) which I've discovered will expire fairly soon. As I did the normal shopping yesterday, I'll probably just get loads of crisps

Comment

I didn't watch Groundhog Day on Groundhog Day last year. Not sure I'll watch it this year either; I like it, but I also know it very well by now

Comment

I'm going to pop up to Big Tesco in a bit, as I've got some Tesco vouchers (the result of some promotion or other from my power supplier) which I've discovered will expire fairly soon. As I did the normal shopping yesterday, I'll probably just get loads of crisps
              Big Tesco popped to. Vouchers to the value of £10 redeemed. Total non-voucher expenditure: 10p for a bag

And a £9 voucher left, which has to be used by May I think.

But my God, the dithering! The slow walking! The stopping suddenly in front of you! I thought Sainsbury's and M&S customers were good at it, but the Tesco mob bring it to a whole new level

Comment

Reading a book!

Something I very rarely do these days despite being surrounded by them.

"Fallout" by Fred Pearce, being "A journey through the Nuclear Age, from the Atom Bomb to Radioactive Waste".

It's really jolly.

Shortly I'll be watching "Great British Car Journeys", for at least 5 minutes if it's crap & longer if it's not.

<hiatus>

So (according to the programme on 4 just now) the Duke of Windsor was just about traitorous during the period prior to 7th December 1941.

The "Great British Car Journeys" thing looks suitably amusing.

I'm sure I drove along some of those roads back in 1976.

As it transpires. I drove along the road on the north side of Loch Ness.

Mildly pissed now.

Nearly mellow enough to ignore the cretins and cretinous mod Specifically In General.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 February 2019, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  So (according to the programme on 4 just now) the Duke of Windsor was just about traitorous during the period prior to 7th December 1941.
                  Indeed. I was reading about him recently, and it's pretty obvious that only family connections kept him from having a cell next door to William Joyce

Comment

What's happened to the :na zi: smiley?

Comment

What's happened to the :na zi: smiley?
                      nothingtoseehere

I think it's off annexing the sudetenland.

I'm becoming more & more disillusioned with CUK.

It is most definitely not what it was.

Which was fun, back in the day.

And snowflake free, with banter & such like.

These days, definitely notsomuch.

Currently watching Jason Bourne on 4.

Which seems amusing enough.

I'm sure mentioning

Bob-a-job week: background - Telegraph

is enough to get one banned these benighted days.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 February 2019, 21:50.

Comment

Working...
                      X