• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all :Wave:
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny out, but it's only just made it up to 0°C out there; the frost lies thickly upon those bits of roofs and such that haven't seen the sun yet

Comment

Nice day for the occasional purge of open Safari tabs and windows. Now down to three windows: one with the always-open CUK and news tabs, one with potential Monday Links articles, and one with tech articles to read - one of which, unsurprisingly, is about UTF-8 and MySQL

Comment

Roast beef bap (wholemeal) for lunch, using some topside I sliced and froze ages ago

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            This evening's mayhem was courtesy of Law Abiding Citizen (2009), in which Gerard Butler's family are brutally murdered by a couple of low-lifes. When one of them then gets off lightly on a plea deal for dobbing the other one in, he sets out to take his revenge: not just on them, but on the entire justice system that allowed that to happen.

And he does a very thorough and well-organised job, too; there's some pretty graphic violence in there, but it's good if you can stomach that. Worth a watch should it come your way

Goodnight all
            Yes.

I rather enjoyed that way back when.

I was going to post this, Specifically In General, but couldn't be arsed.

How to bleed a radiator: A step-by-step guide by an expert

Having spent 4 hours on buses going to & from Carmarthen, and getting in here at 14:55, it's now almost time to bugger off again.

I really hate these long days.

One little tragedy that I spotted on the way down was a gravestone: "To the memory of our children: Born 1957, died at two and a half, Born 1958, died aged 11 in 1969, and the last: died, aged 20, in the Falklands in 1982".

Feck me, the universe really really hates some poor people.

Other than that, it's been a wonderful sunny day, though I was cold & shivering all the way to Carmarthen & only warmed up once I'd walked to the occupational health outpost.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 January 2019, 16:23.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Other than that, it's been a wonderful sunny day, though I was cold & shivering all the way to Carmarthen & only warmed up once I'd walked to the occupational health outpost.
              Been a bright, sunny day here too

Dashed cold with it though

Comment

Countdown filming done

Airs on 19 April (Good Friday) should anyone wish to make themselves feel better by being smarter than me

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Countdown filming done

Airs on 19 April (Good Friday) should anyone wish to make themselves feel better by being smarter than me
                  Remind us on the day!

Comment

Ah, crap. My Dad was probably going to be released from hospital after his chest infection (which he developed after he came home following the broken hip) cleared up. But now my Mum is also at the hospital with… a chest infection, possibly pneumonia

She's waiting for an X-ray at the moment, but it sounds like there's a distinct possibility she too will be admitted. And they presumably won't discharge my Dad if she isn't home to look after him, given the broken hip thing.

Anyway, waiting for further news from my sister…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Ah, crap. My Dad was probably going to be released from hospital after his chest infection (which he developed after he came home following the broken hip) cleared up. But now my Mum is also at the hospital with… a chest infection, possibly pneumonia

She's waiting for an X-ray at the moment, but it sounds like there's a distinct possibility she too will be admitted. And they presumably won't discharge my Dad if she isn't home to look after him, given the broken hip thing.

Anyway, waiting for further news from my sister…

Stone me.

Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

Sorry to hear that, Nick.

In other other news, tea/dinner was the remains of Sunday's roast beef with carrots & onions.

By the grace of some deity or other, it was Very Nice.

Now the blood pressure machine is agreeing with the one down west.

Which is odd, seeing as it's been below 120/80 more than once.

However I won't be taking anything for it.

This evening's epic is "Guadalcanal Diary (1943)", being the movie of some correspondent or other who was foolish enough to land on said island with the US Marines.

It's got a very young Richard Jaeckal in it, as found much later in such epics as "Star Man". He's described as "prolific" & they ain't joking. Never a star as such, but by damn he worked hard and had a sad end.

Guadalcanal Diary (1943) - IMDb

It was ok, given the limitations of its time.

Not a patch on the tv series though which benefited from 70 years of progress and the decided advantage of no one really shooting at any one.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 January 2019, 21:50.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X