• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    FFS. In one of their tables, vBulletin use a compound key. But MySQL only has a case-insensitive UTF-8 collation, and two rows in that table have the same value for a column that's part of that compound key, one mixed case, one uppercase… so the damn thing falls over with a Duplicate Key error when trying to convert that table to UTF-8

I believe I can work around it by using the binary UTF-8 collation. Or maybe I'll just leave that table as ISO-8859-1; there's no fancy characters in there, so it shouldn't break. Pain in the neck, though

Joins on different collations break in sql server unless you tell them which collation to use. Dunno if same is true for MySQL. Are those rows important? Can you not doctor one?

Comment

The trip to work was via the delayed X55, slip sliding away.

Lots of breakdowns & crashes, fortunately almost all, bar one, were on the opoosite carriageways.

The trek from the bus stop down to the docks resembled a skating rink.

Caught the 58 back, which was much less dramatic, all the ice having vanished.

Tea/dinner was the remains of Sunday's NZ lamb (Morrisons, reduced) with carrots & onions.

It was reasonably edible.

I won't be purchasing a further supply of roast in the bag NZ lamb.

The kinematic epic this evening is "The Rocket Post", being the "true story" of some lunatic German rocket scientist in late 1938 in the Scottish Islands.

The Rocket Post (2004) - IMDb

I've also enquired as to the bung they're prepared to give me in exchange for my fecking off under VR.

I rather enjoyed the film.

It's just a bit of fluff, but good for all that.

Not quite the reality of it though:

http://www.isleofharris.com/discover...t-post-reality

Film Hebrides - famous film locations in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland.

Rocket Post: That’s one small step for mail… | Post&Parcel
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 24 January 2019, 08:13.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Joins on different collations break in sql server unless you tell them which collation to use. Dunno if same is true for MySQL. Are those rows important? Can you not doctor one?
        I'm not sure, but they're some kind of built-in phrase group to do with the editor. I don't want to change them if I can afford not to, as I haven't the faintest idea where they're used, and grepping through the entire vBulletin codebase to find out seems like a lot of hassle if I can get away without it

It seems to be working OK at the moment… but there's more testing to be done
        Last edited by NickFitz; 23 January 2019, 20:57. Reason: Sodding autocorrect. It's "grep", not "grip"!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          I've also enquired as to the bung they're prepared to give me in exchange for my fecking off under VR.
          Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Ah! Found an obscure setting in a config file which (I think) gives me the last piece of the puzzle
            Incidentally, some other pieces were tracked down by using curl to save HTTP responses to file, then examining them as hex dumps. So those systems software engineering skills from the 1980s are still coming in handy

Comment

Tonight's repast has been a roast chicken dinner, and it was inordinately nice

I planned to have it on Sunday, but then I ended up travelling south where I instead had… a roast chicken dinner

That one was also extremely nice, but on balance today's was nicer because I don't have to drive home after it

Comment

This evening's film was Wind River (2017), in which a US Fish and Wildlife Service hunter, played by Jeremy Renner, discovers the frozen body of a young Native American woman up a mountain on a reservation, and assists an inexperienced FBI officer, played by Elizabeth Olsen, in investigating the case. Beautiful scenery, and a very bleak atmosphere throughout; I thought it was very good indeed. Well worth a watch.

And a bit more of The West Wing got through

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey day, and about 2°C. It's like it's January out there

Comment

Morning all

Most of the snow has melted, but it was crunchy underfoot on the morning walk.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I actually managed to provide something useful to NF! Updating my CV now! I reckon it will add £50 to my day rate. Or double as I prefer to call it.....

Comment

Working...
                      X