• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been messing with my Bing maps thing again NF and got latitude and longitude values mixed up. Clicked on place in Sussex and zoomed in on Dubai. Good thing I'm not an airline pilot.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Been messing with my Bing maps thing again NF and got latitude and longitude values mixed up. Clicked on place in Sussex and zoomed in on Dubai. Good thing I'm not an airline pilot.
      When I was at college back in the 80s, our group project was a font editor. Basically a grid which you could fill in squares to draw letters. (This was in the days when you had to code the UI) It was all nicely specced with interfaces etc - unfortunately half the developers assumed we were using x,y coordinates, and the other half up, along. So all the letters came out sideways. Fortunately we'd provided a rotate function, so managed to smoke and mirrors the demo.

Comment

I do that a lot with map stuff

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          When I was at college back in the 80s, our group project was a font editor. Basically a grid which you could fill in squares to draw letters. (This was in the days when you had to code the UI) It was all nicely specced with interfaces etc - unfortunately half the developers assumed we were using x,y coordinates, and the other half up, along. So all the letters came out sideways. Fortunately we'd provided a rotate function, so managed to smoke and mirrors the demo.
          Yeh. That's the confusing bit about Bing maps. You get clicked coordinates as (x,y) then convert to (latitude, longitude), which is vertical,horizontal.

When I was at UNI we only had analogue computers.

PS I'm lying, we only had abacuses. Carved out of stone.
          bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As befits the first grand repast of this year, - steak pie, chips and peas, and very nice too

Comment

I do that a lot with map stuff
              Apart from the thing for footpaths inspections so I can mark problems, I've made another to suit my walking obsessions. I can view a grid overlaying my local area and zoom in on any section when clicked. Can post the code if you're interested in this stuff.
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                The key is to think of the most efficient way to convert a coordinate to an address in screen memory, which inevitably leads to x increasing from left to right and y increasing from top to bottom because of how a CRT works

Comment

Apart from the thing for footpaths inspections so I can mark problems, I've made another to suit my walking obsessions. I can view a grid overlaying my local area and zoom in on any section when clicked. Can post the code if you're interested in this stuff.
                  Please do! I've never really used the Bing Maps API, so it would be interesting to see

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    As befits the first grand repast of this year, - steak pie, chips and peas, and very nice too
                    2019: Year of the Pie

Comment

This evening's epics began with "Doctor Who" (actual story, the first this season), followed by a little bit of "World War Weird" on Yesterday which I'd seen previously so now we're onto "The Dambusters Great Escape" on More4, which is about the sinking of the Tirpitz.

Poor bloody sailormen.

Now back to "World War Weird" with the pigeon guided missile.

The cat, by the way, is too dumb to use the access to the shed.

Ho very hum.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 January 2019, 21:18.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X