• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    They could do with a new computer program to manage their systems.

Does anyone know someone with some coding skills?
    What you need to Suity to oversee the whole thing.

Comment

Bacon cob for lunch

In a little while I shall venture forth to do the shopping, and also possibly to have a haircut.

Comment

There's nothing like a client who knows what they want and how to prioritise.

This client is nothing like that. Typical consultancy stuff.

They've done a very good job of selling time to end client without being upfront about how many people they really have with my skillset. As a result end client have piled up enough work for five people and it's all burning hot must be done RIGHT NOW.

Power struggles in consultancy clientco mean that various people are having pissing contests and demanding the non-existent resources. If I knew which of the four projects I've been asked to consider I was meant to be on it'd be really good. As it is the consultancy's priorities change roughly every half day depending on who is pissing best at the time. That's fine but stops me doing any meaningful work due to the constant context switching...

Ah well. Invoicing day yesterday so head down and keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by covbob View Post
          There's nothing like a client who knows what they want and how to prioritise.

This client is nothing like that. Typical consultancy stuff.

They've done a very good job of selling time to end client without being upfront about how many people they really have with my skillset. As a result end client have piled up enough work for five people and it's all burning hot must be done RIGHT NOW.

Power struggles in consultancy clientco mean that various people are having pissing contests and demanding the non-existent resources. If I knew which of the four projects I've been asked to consider I was meant to be on it'd be really good. As it is the consultancy's priorities change roughly every half day depending on who is pissing best at the time. That's fine but stops me doing any meaningful work due to the constant context switching...

Ah well. Invoicing day yesterday so head down and keep invoicing.
          You're me, aren't you.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            In a little while I shall venture forth to do the shopping, and also possibly to have a haircut.
            And so it came to pass, though in the reverse order.

The haircut was courtesy of the woman who chats incessantly but does a good job.

Turns out the woman who doesn't chat more than necessary and does a good job isn't doing cuts any more; she owns the place, letting out the seats to the others who work as independent contractors (a common practice in the hairdressing business, I understand) and now she just comes in once a week for her… well, cut I suppose you'd call it. Apparently her husband died unexpectedly, so I suppose she can do with the time off

And chatty woman's father has motor neurone disease which is progressing rapidly, so he's planning a one-way trip to Switzerland after Christmas

I learned all this just from what she was saying to the bloke whose hair she was cutting while I was waiting. Thankfully she'd moved on to less serious topics by the time I was in the chair

And after that, the shopping, where I realised that I'd got most of what I needed on Monday and as a result had a trolley that contained very little but bottles of beer. Still, at least the lack of anything else meant I could carry more beer

Alert for those of you with Nectar cards: Sainsbury's are now on the lead-in to their double-value-points promotion, which means cheap wine (among other things): Sainsbury's - Please enable cookies or JavaScript

Comment

Umm...

...ommm
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                And chatty woman's father has motor neurone disease which is progressing rapidly, so he's planning a one-way trip to Switzerland after Christmas
                Which reminded me of the now very late Ivor.

This being Ivor the Barber rather than Ivor the Enginedriver or Ivor the Russian Spy.

I was sat there and he was busily cutting away and he starts telling me that his son's flat had been burgled.

Bastards, scum, says I.

Conversation proceeds and I gradually realise that the reason the son's flat had been burgled was because the son had topped himself and the burglars had com around and done their worst during the funeral while the place was deserted.

thinks I, wtf do I say now.

Happily Harold had realised what was going on & sent Ivor out to have a cup of tea & a sit down while Harold finished the barbering.

Ivor was getting on a bit lot, and one day I was sat there having my haircut & Huw was giggling away to himself.

Turned out Ivor had reverted to his army days and had started to give the chap a short back & sides, which wasn't very fashionable in the early 1980s.

So Harold was doing his best to remedy this while poor old Ivor sort of quivered a bit in the corner.

I suppose he's long dead now, and so is Harold (about 15 years apparently).

Huw owns the business now.

CBS out there now & the temperature is dropping like a stone.

Down to 7.4 deg in the laundry room & I reckon it might freeze again tonight.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Tonight's tea was lamb chops, with chips, peas, gravy, and mint sauce; and it was very nice indeed

And I have some chocolate eclairs in the fridge which I may well turn to later

Comment

Ivor in Russian is like IamAthief

Can’t believe this thread is still going

Comment

Tea was lentil <pffffft> soup, followed by stewed blackberries and custard.

Being sans NaCl, it was all pretty tasteless, other than the stewed blackberries which had caught on the saucepan prior to being frozen which didn't help a lot.

This evening's televisual entertainment was "World War Weird" on "Yesterday", followed by "The BBT" on E4, followed by "Felina" on dvd.

It seems incredible that "Breaking Bad" ended 5 years ago.

I started rewatching it but that got interrupted by circumstance without so much pomp.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X